Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :d
I am posting this on behalf of my other half who has a Megane 1.6 coupe.
His car cut out yesterday and he is unable to start it (right outside his friends house- thankfully) He is unable to get the key out of the ignition??
Breakdown have come out and they do not know the fault and have no solution ?!?!
He is however able to look the doors with the spare key. The imobiliser light is flashing still.
Does anyone know the problem? Whats causing this?
Any help, much appreciated....:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
hi

get him to turn the side lights on (to protect against power surges! damaging the digital dash unit)
open the bonnet
disconnect the battery
reconnect the battery
take key out of card reader!!!
turn off side lights:d

its a power issue the ECU/cardreader microprocessors have pretty much crashed and need cold restart.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi,
you are almost certainly going to have to replace the steering column lock.
In order to remove the old one you will need to turn the key to the first possition in order to extract from the seccuring tube so do not smash it up in a temper yet.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
what year of car is it ?
its either electronic key fob or older ignition barrel key ???

it is a know problem with the key fob mechanisms to occasionally lock up and jam the key in them.
if repowering the car up doesnt work then you will have to unclip the fob reader from the dash and manually unlock the key (cleaning the sensor contacts in the back of it helps)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same/similar problem,in that my ignition key is stuck in the barrel.The key still turns the ignition on and off,but i can't remove the key.
I removed the lower cover to get access to the switch,but can't see how to get the barrel removed.
Is this going to cost a fortune to repair ? car is Megane Scenic 1.4 on a V plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same/similar problem,in that my ignition key is stuck in the barrel.The key still turns the ignition on and off,but i can't remove the key.
I removed the lower cover to get access to the switch,but can't see how to get the barrel removed.
Is this going to cost a fortune to repair ? car is Megane Scenic 1.4 on a V plate.
I have the same problem
did you manage to sort yours ?
ignition key is stuck in the barrel at position 1
and will not come out
or can any1 else help please
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts