Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2010 Clio DCI 86, all good and well, runs perfect apart from an irritating hollow knocking noise which occurs when driving over bumpy road surfaces at a medium to low speed. Checked spare wheel wasn’t loose, exhaust doesn’t seem to have excessive movement on the rubber bobbins, however can’t help but feel its an exhaust issue due to the hollow metallic nature of the sound?

Has anyone had any similar issues and even better, any solutions? Just want to be happy with my new car....!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If it is a knock when either front wheel goes through a bump then look towards the anti-roll bar drop link ends. If it only knocks on one side only look towards a broken front suspension spring or less likely the shock absorber. Look closely at the springs. The lower coil should end up near a folded stop on the lower spring seat. The upper is more difficult to inspect but is less likely to fail anyway. It could also be both front springs (which I had on my 2012 Clio recently).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2010 Clio DCI 86, all good and well, runs perfect apart from an irritating hollow knocking noise which occurs when driving over bumpy road surfaces at a medium to low speed. Checked spare wheel wasn’t loose, exhaust doesn’t seem to have excessive movement on the rubber bobbins, however can’t help but feel its an exhaust issue due to the hollow metallic nature of the sound?

Has anyone had any similar issues and even better, any solutions? Just want to be happy with my new car....!

Cheers
Hi Piers

Check if the exhaust pipe isn't touching the heatshield

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi Piers

Check if the exhaust pipe isn't touching the heatshield

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Ditto, my exhaust heatshield got a little distorted with all the snow we've been having causing a rattle. Easy fix once you get under the car. The metal is so thin you can bend it back.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,939 Posts
Most fast fit exhaust centres will stick it on the ramps and give the exhaust a good rattle for free.

Hollow knock suggests something solid knocking so could well be anything on suspension as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Having jacked the car up and had a good poke around I***8217;ve come to the conclusion that this isn***8217;t an exhaust/heat shield issue or anything else that entails those gubbins, more drawn towards steering/suspension related components

Have checked the springs, they***8217;re all intact (had a similar problem with a spring breaking on my previous Corsa so I know the deal with that, got the t shirt etc.) Bushes aren***8217;t worn extensively, nothing loose, could it be drawn to a lack of lubricant on the various joints perhaps?

It***8217;s a hard sound to pin point, I***8217;d liken it to something bottoming out, which may lead me to look at the dampers I suppose.... really winding me up!

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Hi

listened to the video, not very clear even on full volume.

I think from what I can hear, it is coming from the front suspension.

You best option is to take it to a tire shop where they do front end alignment and have them pull check it out,
it may be a ball joint or track rod end ? but without seeing it and feeling for play my self it would be only a guess.

If you have any places like that open on a Sunday give them a call and ask if they can fit you in, today if possible.

Al

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,939 Posts
If all else fails, local independent MOT place, ask if they will check it over.
May cost a few quid (time is money) but they are used to finding play and exactly where to look.

My guess if nothing obvious, roll bar bushes.
But could be strut top bearings, ball joints...well, anything on suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts