Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After hitting a pot hole at least 6" deep, 4" wide (No exaggeration), I hear the odd knocking and groaning noise coming from the front nearside. Heard when turning or going over a lowered curb. The noise is very intermittent.

Suspension coil hasn't snapped. Tyre and rim are fine.

What sort of things should I be checking? My experience is limited when it comes to steering components.

Cheers.

MEGANE III 1.6 Petrol Hatch 2009.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Bottom Ball joint, Favourite

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This? (see attached).

Note, I did some work to front brakes. I turned the wheels from left to right while stationary. Power steering was disabled because the engine was OFF. Whilst turning I heard some groaning noises. Could this one off have caused any damage?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
This? (see attached).

Note, I did some work to front brakes. I turned the wheels from left to right while stationary. Power steering was disabled because the engine was OFF. Whilst turning I heard some groaning noises. Could this one off have caused any damage?

Thank you.
That's the Ickle Bu66er. IMHO

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,049 Posts
What is? The lower joint or my actions of turning the wheel while stationary?

The picture of the lower ball joint.

Groaning, could be anything under strain...try to narrow it down. May just be fluid being pushed around in steering gear.

Pothole like that, double check spring, especially at bottom end..watch fingers, very sharp ends if broken.
Drop links possible
Lower ball joint as Nottie says
It's up in the air and a lever to try to find any play.
Also, with car on ground, check distances from tyre to wheel arch.... smaller to rear then other side may indicate a bent lower arm.

·
Premium Member
14,408 Posts
This? (see attached).

Thank you.
Highly unlikely, probably power steering fluid moving as you turned the wheels.

Jack up the offending wheel at the moment, and make sure the car is well supported and grab hold of the offending wheel top and bottom, try to move in and out, any play will then be detected, also try left and right, try to move the wheel in and out, any play will be detected.
If the wheel feels fine with no undue movement, noises, clicks it is probably OK.
Any play will be felt on the lower joint, trackrod ends and you will more than likely hear it knock if damaged.

Then as DD says springs and shock absorbers.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The picture of the lower ball joint.

Groaning, could be anything under strain...try to narrow it down. May just be fluid being pushed around in steering gear.

Pothole like that, double check spring, especially at bottom end..watch fingers, very sharp ends if broken.
Drop links possible
Lower ball joint as Nottie says
It's up in the air and a lever to try to find any play.
Also, with car on ground, check distances from tyre to wheel arch.... smaller to rear then other side may indicate a bent lower arm.
Highly unlikely, probably power steering fluid moving as you turned the wheels.

Jack up the offending wheel at the moment, and make sure the car is well supported and grab hold of the offending wheel top and bottom, try to move in and out, any play will then be detected, also try left and right, try to move the wheel in and out, any play will be detected.
If the wheel feels fine with no undue movement, noises, clicks it is probably OK.
Any play will be felt on the lower joint, trackrod ends and you will more than likely hear it knock if damaged.

Then as DD says springs and shock absorbers.
Thank you very much for the information everyone.
I will check the components and get back to you all.
As for steering fluid, I don't think mine has any. As far as I'm aware it is electric steering.

·
Premium Member
14,408 Posts
Thank you very much for the information everyone.
I will check the components and get back to you all.
As for steering fluid, I don't think mine has any. As far as I'm aware it is electric steering.

Don't know about the electric power steering, but just had another thought, after hitting a bad pothole like that it is an idea to keep a close eye on your front tyres.
A good bashing on a pothole can knock the tracking out quite easily and you can soon fubar a set of front tyres.

If anyone does a free tracking check it might be worth getting it checked.

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know about the electric power steering, but just had another thought, after hitting a bad pothole like that it is an idea to keep a close eye on your front tyres.
A good bashing on a pothole can knock the tracking out quite easily and you can soon fubar a set of front tyres.

If anyone does a free tracking check it might be worth getting it checked.

:smile2:
Kwik fit offer free testing, but I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I really don't have a single mechanic I can fully trust unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Kwik fit offer free testing, but I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I really don't have a single mechanic I can fully trust unfortunately.
Don't you trust yourself?
You're the only one who can do it to your standard.
But you do need a fair trader to check your tracking.
Just NOT them.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Don't you trust yourself?
You're the only one who can do it to your standard.
But you do need a fair trader to check your tracking.
Just NOT them.
I trust myself to an extent. I know what I know, and there is plenty to learn in the future. Much of what I've learned has been through the help of dedicated members of this forum. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,049 Posts
Shop about for tracking.
Small indies should check for free or nominal amount, then smallish cost if adjustment needed.
National franchises can get really silly on adjustment costs even if free check.
I have a couple of local places that do free check, 25 quid to adjust.
And others want 40 notes just to look at it whether needs adjusting or not.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've checked the front wheel. Gave it a spin and a tug. No noises or play detected. Suspension has no damage. Lower ball joint looks solid. Axle rods don't look bent. CV boot isn't torn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts