Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my Megane has a knocking noise when i drive over bump's it sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side. the knocking sounds tinie sound. anyone got any clue what this could be?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sounds like a exhaust heat plate if it is simply pop rivet it back on but you may have to drill new hole i hope this helps

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the fast reply. will have a look at that tomorrow if it's not that any other clue what it could be?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
thanks for the fast reply. will have a look at that tomorrow if it's not that any other clue what it could be?
The heat plate iam talking about is a part of the car so check them there may be more than one and there may also be plates as part of the exhaust but do not check until cool:d Thats about all i can think of thats tiny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going to bring this thread back from the dead...

The other day I climbed in my 2003 megane 1.4 coupe and heard a load noise from the drivers side under the mud guard. Kind of like a large bolt snapping. When I got out the car I heard something drop to the bottom of the engine area. I checked it out but could find nothing out of place.
Now when I go over speed bumps there is a loud knocking noise emanating from the bottom of the engine more or less on the driver's side.

The car still drives perfect and the suspension is perfect so I have no idea what is causing this load knocking noise.

Could this be one of these heat plates?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going to bring this thread back from the dead...

The other day I climbed in my 2003 megane 1.4 coupe and heard a load noise from the drivers side under the mud guard. Kind of like a large bolt snapping. When I got out the car I heard something drop to the bottom of the engine area. I checked it out but could find nothing out of place.
Now when I go over speed bumps there is a loud knocking noise emanating from the bottom of the engine more or less on the driver's side.

The car still drives perfect and the suspension is perfect so I have no idea what is causing this load knocking noise.

Could this be one of these heat plates?
I found the problem today... The suspension spring on the drivers side is broken. I'm quite handy with doing my own repairs but never changed a spring, is this a difficult task?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,602 Posts
its a simple job to do but you will need x2 spring clamps
do a youtube search and you may evan find a video for your car
Ron

O

·
0 Posts
I found the problem today... The suspension spring on the drivers side is broken. I'm quite handy with doing my own repairs but never changed a spring, is this a difficult task?
In all my years driving I have never had this happen or heard of it happening, yet lately on this forum so many people have reported it. Are springs made of glass these days?:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
if your changing the spring don't make my mistake, i replaced a broken spring (well my mechanic mate at work did), but didn't change the other side then lo and behold a few days later the other side broke too,

my advice, as with ball joints would be to replace both sides at the same time.
as i'm led to believe the new side often weakens the older one

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
be careful guys and gals, just after posting on this thread, my near side spring has gone again :mad:,
relacement spring £25, £35 to fit (inc labour) per side,
just what i need before our jollies :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mechanic changed both the front springs on my Megane. Cost me €200 in total. He checked everything else out and it all looks good. Till the next time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts