Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rear shock absorber failure on my Clio last month, and after looking around at all the options I decided to replace the pair with KONI Red Special D's instead of the standard fitted parts because there was little difference in the price, so I thought 'What the heck, I'll upgrade and improve the ride while I'm at it!'.

The shocks arrived a few days later and I fitted them all by myself! :) Everything seemed to work quite well, but I had a right game with the old bump stops.

The handling did improve, in a straight line and in the fast corners...

...but load the car up or drive over the rough stuff and it handles like a pig. :(

I think the problem is that I have to match up with new front shocks too, but I'm not sure it's worth it when the original suspension worked well enough and only really rolled when I pushed it hard.

So I'm not quite sure what to do - adjust the new KONI shocks to make them firmer, and spend and extra wedge on some new front shocks to match; or take them off and sell them on and stick with some new standard parts instead. (...and maybe one day uprate the springs for a firmer ride).

I'm undecided, can't you tell? lol! :crazy:

So what I really wan to ask is does anyone else here run KONI's on their Clio, and have you any tips?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Er... No. Had a busy weekend, so no chance to do anything about it yet really. Car's going in to have a new CAT fitted tomorrow; it's been on it's way out for ages and I've been putting it off because of the cost, but I rang my mechanic to see when he could fit me in and he said tomorrow so at least I can sort something out. :eek:

Are Clio's designed for the kind of punishment I'm giving mine - 350+ miles per week - because my poor thing is always having some kind of issue to keep me on my toes. :crazy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I upgraded the shocks on my mk2 golf - but did the springs at the same time.

We changed just the back suspension initially (it was relatively easy to do at home), and the car felt a bit more taut - but the only real benefits were felt when the fronts were done as well.

With a mismatch, you may be getting different compression/rebound rates, so the car will feel funny. I'd recommend getting everything to match up. We used Koni T/As all round, with H&R springs (rather than the harder eibachs) and the car was reborn !! Stealth Racing were the supplier, highly recommended (but this was for a dub)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts