Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post here but been reading the boards for a while.

I bought a KWP2000 plus module off ebay but can't get it to communicate with my ECU. I'm getting the message "ECU not found". Tried it on the missis' 206 1.4 HDI and it read that ok, so can't be faulty.

Tried all kinds of keycard and ignition combinations but no joy.

the cable has a full set of pins so is compatible with all the standards(least it should be).

Have i wasted £100????

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The simple answer is that it is not compatable with your Renault, and I guess £100 not well spent.

The Renault utilises CAN bus multiplex control (Controller Area Network) and and would require
a different interface..

see Omitec : CAN Bus for CAN bus explanation

OBD2 is supposed to be a "standard" however there are a number of different protocols used to initalise communicate with vehicle ECU's via the diagnostic port...

I have looked at the Ebay listing and I would say that it is not very helpful in making a decision to whether it will work with a specific vehicle..

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah, looks pretty good. would this allow me to flash the ecu also, or would i need other hardware for that? as this was the main reason for purchase

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chris. I've come to the conclusion that the KWP2000 was a waste of £100. i'm trying to get a refund from the ebay seller but not holding my breath.
He said it would be compatible but it just isn't.

I'm looking into a tuning box solution now, least i can pull it out easily and either transfer it to another car or sell it on when the time comes.

Anybody wants a KWP2000 box with all the software and cables give me a nod. It probably won't work on anything built after 2004 tho as they use CAN now not KWP2000 :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks chris. I've come to the conclusion that the KWP2000 was a waste of £100. i'm trying to get a refund from the ebay seller but not holding my breath.
He said it would be compatible but it just isn't.

I'm looking into a tuning box solution now, least i can pull it out easily and either transfer it to another car or sell it on when the time comes.

Anybody wants a KWP2000 box with all the software and cables give me a nod. It probably won't work on anything built after 2004 tho as they use CAN now not KWP2000 :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts