Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, what's the average labour charge these days?

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Depends on mates rate, back street garage, independent or main dealer to be honest.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Does anyone believe this... scary

·
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
2,323 Posts
Took my Note into main dealers for the locking wheelnuts to be replaced (all the indie's local wouldn't touch it) as the previous owner had lost it.
The dealers couldn't get a replacement as it wasn't a standard Nissan one, they charged an hours labour to force the four of em off, rated at £95 per hour or part of!
My local indie charges £40 per hour....
That's in Gloucestershire and within the last 12 months.

·
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.
2,323 Posts
What really p**ses me off the the "£45 +VAT" nonsense, just tell me the full rate!
Yes, I can work it out, but it always makes me feel they are being underhanded with the prices ... I've found a local indie (5 minutes away) that states the price for a job, no added vat, no added "extras" at the end, what he says it'll cost .. it costs!
Good place, no frills, just clear, honest work for a reasonable price....

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Follow up question.... how much does a competent mechanic earn per hour? I have no idea anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
In the spring of 2017 the local main Ford/Volvo dealer was asking €90.
That said he had just been told by the high ups that he 'needed' the new 2017 corporate design plastic picnic table, chairs and leaflet stand for his 'free' coffee area at a cost of several thousand..... it was not a request but a condition of the franchise.
Customer in the end pays for glass palaces.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for your input (y) The charges are certainly varied! by as much as half, my local indy charges £70+ vat but as I live in the stockbroker belt and the settling place for premium footballers of which by the way I am not! it appears that a premium is applied for the privilege of living in the area.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,331 Posts
He wont leave me alone DD, hurt I is hurt
Mine is £25 @hour ..
Should I raise my prices then

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,331 Posts
Ouch

So that's a raise then, DD, had a raise last year, first time in 10 years..

Let me just see what @Davegayle says..
Will know then if I can get away with it ..

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,716 Posts
Garage Mechanic's in Cardiff earn around 18K a year..hourly rate..nine to ten pounds an hour..our mobile guy charges £47 an hour inc vat..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts