Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I hope you can help. My auxilary bet broke on my Laguna Priliege dci M2 2001 car. I had this fixed and was told the source was a bad pulley. He mentioned an odd grinding noise after just starting the engine which he wasnt happy about but it wouldnt do it when he tried to show me. Anyway, when using that evening I heard the noise but then it went and it drove lovely. A couple of days later had the a red warning light on to say battery charge fault. Luckily not to far away from home. The light came on each time I started the engine. I spoke to the garage and he said that the Alternator has probably gone and needs replacing. :( He did not test the alternator so just took it as gospel that he was right.

Anyway, I am now in a situation where when starting the car, the warning light no longer comes on :confused: so I am actually wondering if it is the alternator after all. I currently have this advertised on ebay but dont want to sell at price that I aam doing if the alternator is fine. I also darent drive the car incase the alternator does actually need replacing and end up being stranded. I therefore was wondering if these diagnostic tools would be able to pick up if the alterbtor is actually the fault. I think they are a great gadget and I have seen in the previous paperwork on the car that codes have actually been taken on the car but my question it (being a lady driver and all :d) where do these things plug into and where would I find it on the car? Also is it still probable that the alternator is at fault if the warning light no longer appears on the dash as it did before while doing the testing system after start up.

I also read somewhere that if I disconnect the batter while the car is running and the car dies that will be a sure sign that the alternator has had it. I have looked under the bonnet :eek: and notice that something else is connected off the battery and I am worried that if I diconnect the battery I may cause this other thing to fail too. Thanks in advance : )

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I would not recommend runing the engine with the alternator disconnected as you risk dmaging some of the electronics.

It may be worth having the alternator voltage output checked before going any further - seeking advice from a decent auto-spark may be a better option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts