Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to make the cruise control functional on my car, I have gleaned that I would need the steering wheel with buttons on it, and a different stalk unit with the pass through connectors for said buttons? (assuming my car didn't originally have cruise control and the button to switch it or the speed limiter on (which does work) was added randomly by a previous owner?) If this is the case, why are there NO Lag 2 steering wheels on eBay with the buttons? Surely cruise can't have been that rare an option?!

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
as a guess you might need a different ECU unit????
and both ECU/UCH would need different programming.

it was a faily common option, ive seen dynamics fitted out with CC/SL.
just a question of choice by purchaser on how much they wanted to pay. (dont forget a lot of them were ordered to car lease companys, so would have been basic spec)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the cruise control on my car would work - the light on the cluster for cruise/limiter comes on and the display asks me to 'SET' the speed. Perhaps it originally did have it and the wheel has been changed but I remember there was a thread referring to retrofitting it to a Scenic of a similar era and all that was required was the switch and a way to set the speed in lieu of the wheel buttons but I'd like to do it properly...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Massively late reply but your car didnt originally have it, I put the buttons there as I was going to retrofit the cruise control and was on the look out for the the steering wheel but lost interest before I completed it :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Massively late reply but your car didnt originally have it, I put the buttons there as I was going to retrofit the cruise control and was on the look out for the the steering wheel but lost interest before I completed it :)
Aha! Thanks, I shall need the column unit then...

The car's still going strong, I fixed the windows now (was a couple of fuses in the upper fusebox, I rebuilt the regulator on the N/S/F) along with the central locking - ish (all the doors lock/unlock with the fob - it still won't unlock with the fob if left for more than about 1/2 hour, but at least I don't leave it unlocked now ;) ) I've got a new UCH/ECU/Steering Lock/Keycards that will hopefully resolve that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have just retrofitted cruise control to My laguna you only need the steering wheel with the buttons and if you havent got a clock spring with 4 plugs your need get one, the speed liMiter works but you cant accellerate past your set liMit, proberly due to the accelerator pedal being wrong

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
...the speed liMiter works but you cant accellerate past your set liMit, proberly due to the accelerator pedal being wrong
There is a safety switch fitted to the accelerator, so that when you *have* to get more speed, it will bypass the max speed limiter. (Think of pulling out of a town, where you have been limiting at 30 mph, onto a main road, where you need 60+ mph. Bypassing the limiter is essential in that case).

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
There is a safety switch fitted to the accelerator, so that when you *have* to get more speed, it will bypass the max speed limiter. (Think of pulling out of a town, where you have been limiting at 30 mph, onto a main road, where you need 60+ mph. Bypassing the limiter is essential in that case).
Update.
Just done the conversion on my Laguna2 Dynamique 1.9 dCi, which had the socket for the switch behind the panel, but had no clock spring wiring, and has the three-spoke wheel (which I'm led to understand never have cruise controls), so I've converted the radio remote control to be the four buttons for the cruise control.
(The radio remote has been annoyingly redundant since I changed the head unit for an after-market model)
So the cost would have been the switch and panel (from scrappie) and three resistors (Maplin, 1.08 gbp). Add about 8" of two-core, and solder and heatshrink (tape will do)

The switches for the clutch, brake and accelerator all work as expected; I did not have to change these.
And the function worked (as described by Azurael, above) before I fitted the "wheel buttons" substitution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts