Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 Laguna RTi 2.0S. What size tyres would this have come with from new? Just wondering how near a set of 205/40 17's would be :confused:

Chris

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
HI yellowlaggy,

Assuming your wheels are the standard ones fitted to the car at manufacture , Im certain that 205/40R17 tyres will not fit your car ! I imagine your wheels (being a phase one Lag) will be nearer to 185/65/R15 or something similar.

I had a 98 R Reg (Phase 2) Laguna RT Sport and the tyre size was 195/65/R15 as standard.

If you look on the tyres it will say on the sidewalls for definite.

You can get away with tyres that are 10mm wider (195/65/15 as opposed to 185/65/R15), but I wouldnt advise this unless you change all four.

Also if you go to Cheap Tyre Prices | Dunlop Goodyear Pirelli | Discount Car Tyres | Tyre Shopper and do a search by registration type, it will tell you what size of tyres/ wheels you will have on your car (again if it hasnt got aftermarket alloys on).

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
The tyre shopper website worked for my car. Infact it gave me two options, one was the standard fit wheels/ tyres and the other was the optional silverstone alloys (17" as opposed to the standard 16" wheels).

Obviously I would still check the size of the wheels against the car :crazy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. The car already has 17" wheels fitted. 100+ Swords. The tyre sizes are 215/45 17. I am replacing both the fronts and was considering going down to 205/40 17. I didn't know how far either size is from std thats all.

When my brother fitted 17's to his R19 16v it knocked quite a bit of off the accelleration and responsiveness to throttle. He has gone back to 15's.

Seeing as the Lag is no sprightly sportster I'm not too concerned, just wanted to lessen the impact the 17's would have. The Lag is lowered so not too bothered about the wheels not 'filling' the arches.

Ended up ordering a pair of Falken ZE 512 215/45 17's today from mytyres, £116 pr. :)

Chris

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
Yellowlaggy,

I too upgraded to 17" wheels on my Lag 1 they were 215/45/R17's and rubbing a bit on one of the wheel arches when I had passengers in the back and went over a large bump / dip in the road.

That was the only downside, the wheels look awesome on the car.

I was considering going for 205/45/17's as this would have no doubt solved my issue. Never get round too it as changed the car.

You could always get the arches rolled to stop the rubbing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
LOL now you make me think i might have been better off getting the 205/40's :devil:

I think the attatched pic should show. Clearly see the lowering. The 45's look quite a bit bigger than the 40's. Looked at TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator and the difference is 29mm overall wheel/tyre diameter.

Chris

·
Administrator
21,710 Posts
I only ever got a problem with rubbing when I had the missus / the kid and the pushchair in the back on the car :d and even then it was only now and again

When I was on my own never got a problem. The only time it was a real issue was when I had me and 4 mates in the car and loaded up with suitcases, then it rubbed all the way to the airport ! Even the slightest dip caused it to rub.

Those wheels look really nice on the lag mate, and the car looks well tidy / clean ! Ive always liked the yellow lags. :cool: I had Aez Cyber's on mine (looked a bit like the BMW M3 allows), wish Id kept them for mt current Lag II. :mad:

Ever thought about changing the exhaust for a stainless one ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought about changing the exhaust from the cat backwards but cant seem to find much out there, I didnt want anything too loud anyway. It would prob mean cutting the rear bumper :confused:

It's a money thing too. Current exhaust is ok and I want to get the grill and front bumper resprayed along with a new set of fogs first, finish cleaning it up lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts