Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As it says on the tin, have a light clatter/metallic whirr in 3rd and 4th only, that reflects back quite loudly off adjacent buildings/vehicles etc. No impairment of g/box function (yet) and no other symptoms at all... 51.5k miles and no abuse.

Do I start saving or do TADTS? Are synchro rings prone to failing?

ETA: it's apparent when the car is moving, not stationery in gear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
im not impressed with these pk6 gearboxes, they seam very weak and unable to take the torque from the renault powerfull diesel engines, but i would think the very first thing you need to do is check the gearbox oil level is correct, you can either ask your renault stealer to check it for you or i can post up a picture and instruction of how to make your own dip stick and how to check the level, are you able to take the gearbox out and investigate if needed or do you need someone else to do this for you. I took my pk6 gearbox out a few weeks ago due to excessive noise in first and second gear, after stripping the gearbox down i found a very very worn tapper bearing and replaced with a supperior quality bearing and all is well now, there's 3 main shafts in the gearbox and 6 tapper bearing also 4 moving selector rings, if one or more of the shaft bearings are worn this allows the all shaft and selector to move about which can cause the gears not to mesh too well causing excessive noise, one thing i noticed with my faulty box was the gearstick moved backwards when i applied power , does your gearstick move. This gearbox is not too difficult to repair if you can spot the faulty worn item, ie bearing in my gearbox came out in 20 odd pieces lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
PK6 gearbox dipstick

Would be very grateful if you could post a picture and instructions for your gearbox dipstick for the 6 speed box. Mine is a little noisy in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and the only alternative to checking the level is to drain it and refill with the specified quantity of oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to drag this one up again but, I think my car is in the early stages of this and I need it sorted soon. There is noise in 3rd and 4th especially when I come off the throttle and when I gave is some power the gearstick does move back slightly. My car is still under warranty is it covered for this or is this NORMAL wear and tear? If not what's a rough estimate of how much I should expect to pay to get it sorted?

Thanks in advance
Colin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Colin, I still have the same noise from the gearbox but it doesn't sound or feel like bearings and the synchro works perfectly in all gears. This may save you some expense as the first thing I tried was to drain the gearbox oil and refill it with exactly 2.2 litres of Tranself 75W80 as recommended by Renault and the noise is still there. If you do get any joy from Renault under your warranty, I would be interested to hear their diagnosis. Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gone in to the dealers today, vehicle tech rode to check the problem nodded knowingly add the noise, but pulled a funny face when I mentioned bearings and what the forum said. Will know tomorrow what the diagnoisis is and whether it's covered by warranty. Tech said that they don't fix gearboxes they just replace them!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to drag this one up again but, I think my car is in the early stages of this and I need it sorted soon. There is noise in 3rd and 4th especially when I come off the throttle and when I gave is some power the gearstick does move back slightly. My car is still under warranty is it covered for this or is this NORMAL wear and tear? If not what's a rough estimate of how much I should expect to pay to get it sorted?

Thanks in advance
Colin

this could very easily be same problem i had, probably one of the other shaft bearings than the one that went in mine, when the bearing wear to excess it allows the whole shaft to move left to right, this in turn moves the setector arm and transmites the movement to the gear stick cables and moves the gearstick, absolute top quality replacement bear is £14 shame it takes a few days to take out the gearbox strip the box and replace the bearing, you might has well have a new clutch while its in bits. Im not sure this is a job renault would be willing to do, they probably just take the gearbox out and either have it refurbed or sell you a new one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's getting a new gearbox and it's a warranty job. Which doesn't help you guys who are out of warranty. Sorry

Its ok i fixed my own, last ppl i want near my laguna is a renault technician ( no offence webcode) ive only had the laguna in once to doncaster reg vardys under a recall and they made a right balls of the job, it was changing the master clutch cylinder and they didnt blead it right, the pedal was on the floor the next day, all they where interested in was over £600 of service and defects they said it needed, ie a 36k service + wiper blades + replace a tyre+ replace front brake pads . Well i serviced it myself replaced the wiper blades and replaced the front pads and cost my all in all about £50 in parts and the tyre they said was worn and dangerous i checked and there was wear near the edge but the law states there must be 1.6mm of tread on 75% of the centre of the tyre so i left it on and a month after i took it for its mot with the same tyre on and it passed no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok guys an update. The car is still at the dealers. They said it would be ready early last week. Then I was called on wednesday and told that the clutch pipe that was ordered has arrived. I was not informed of any clutch pipe but was happy top here that they were fitting it that day. Anyway friday came and they told me a senior tech was now working on the car as they were having trouble bleeding it. The latest is they are gonna call me later today with an update as they need to take the gearbox out again! The chap left a voicemail telling me all this (cos I was at work and couldn't answer the phone) He also said that he thinks it's gonna need a new clutch which he said was reconmended in the first place. No it wasn't the first time I heard the clutch mentioned was the phone call about the clutch pipe. Does anyone know why my car needs a new clutch if the old one was working fine. It was only the noise/clunking 3rd and 4th gears that caused the problem which they indentified as a bearing on one of the shafts in the gearbox. Also they said the car would "definately" be ready on friday. I take it I'm gonna have to pay for the clutch but really think they are treating me badly for want of a better expression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
'It was only the noise/clunking 3rd and 4th gears that caused the problem '
I have an espace IV 2.2dci with the 6speed Manual which has covered 42k miles and exhibits the same symptoms, noisy in 3rd & 4th but otherwise fine. Can I assume this is the same gearbox and thus the same problem. If so how do I get hold of the new bearings, thanks in advance for any advice, Jon Jamin

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got a new bearing from a local bearing specalist, look in your yellow pagers there be one near you for sure, renault sell them aswell about £20, but do you want to put the same poor quality bearing in, i think not. I went for a skc brand and its made in germany and regarded has about has good has you can buy cost £17, i could get the same quality that renault fit in there gearbox from this bearing supplier for £6.30 but due to the time involved taking the gearbox out i thought best to fit best i can get, and a new clutch has well, has for the replacement clutch pipe there's no need to replace this unless its damaged by the person taking out the gearbox ( i didnt have any problems)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that, I have an account at a couple of bearing suppliers, any idea of the code. If you go to the bother of getting the box out and splitting it, would it not be worthwhile replacing bearings on all shafts. I have been searching through the forums and people have had problems with 1&2 and 3&4, so is it not just a matter of time before they all go?
cheers
Jon Jamin

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spoke to a guy at my local garage this morning, to ask him how much he would charge to remove the gearbox and replace it, as although I am happy to do the bearing replacement, my drive is about a 1 in 6 slope and I don't relish working under the car on an incline. His reply was along the lines of, 'Noo warn bert a renau gurarrrge ul turch arrt, carz yull need a speshl tooel wort carst freenarf grayund t take y'engin owt!' Is this the case or is he just avoiding a painful job. Is this a job a competent technician can do ( I have removed an espace 3 engine, rebuilt it and got it going again) Any Ideas anyone?
Thx Jon Jamin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone...

Not posted before, but wanted to gain any feedback from a similar problem that I have encountered. Over the last couple of weeks my Laguna II dci 1.9 has been making a whining noise at about 2000 revs. Went to local garage and they told me they couldn't find the problem and wait till it goes wrong so they know what to replace (doh!) so it went into Renaults. This is where I am worried... at first they couldn't pin point the problem, so they got a senior technician onto the case, he then reported that I needed a new gearbox. As my car is outter warranty its going to cost in excess of £2400!!! I nearly fainted..... anyway, I got on well with the service department and they person I was dealing with said they can fit a valve/relay of some sort that will prolong the life of the gearbox for a couple of months and suggested to sell the car as soon as possible, explaining that no one would know the gearbox is soon to fail unless they plug in a diagnostic computer.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it possible to add a valve/relay component that will prolong the life of the gearbox?

I can't believe it would cost that much to replace the gearbox, isn't there a cheaper method?

Any advice would be great as I don't really want to sell the car, specially as the gearbox could die at any time!.

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi everyone...

Not posted before, but wanted to gain any feedback from a similar problem that I have encountered. Over the last couple of weeks my Laguna II dci 1.9 has been making a whining noise at about 2000 revs. Went to local garage and they told me they couldn't find the problem and wait till it goes wrong so they know what to replace (doh!) so it went into Renaults. This is where I am worried... at first they couldn't pin point the problem, so they got a senior technician onto the case, he then reported that I needed a new gearbox. As my car is outter warranty its going to cost in excess of £2400!!! I nearly fainted..... anyway, I got on well with the service department and they person I was dealing with said they can fit a valve/relay of some sort that will prolong the life of the gearbox for a couple of months and suggested to sell the car as soon as possible, explaining that no one would know the gearbox is soon to fail unless they plug in a diagnostic computer.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it possible to add a valve/relay component that will prolong the life of the gearbox?

I can't believe it would cost that much to replace the gearbox, isn't there a cheaper method?

Any advice would be great as I don't really want to sell the car, specially as the gearbox could die at any time!.

Thanks
Rob

What a load of rubbish, the gearbox is not connected to any sensor's and there is nothing logged in the ecu regarding the gearbox, has for installing a relay to cure the problem for a few months again what a complete load of rubbish, you can find alternative gearbox specalist's that will remove the gearbox and replace whats worn in your gearbox probably be arounf £1000 , or go for a second hand gearbox from a breakers cost about £600 and then labour on top to swap the gearbox, recommend a new clutch at the same time, reson i know a bit about your problem is i took my gearbox out and replaced a gearbox bearing a few months ago .

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a load of rubbish, the gearbox is not connected to any sensor's and there is nothing logged in the ecu regarding the gearbox, has for installing a relay to cure the problem for a few months again what a complete load of rubbish, you can find alternative gearbox specalist's that will remove the gearbox and replace whats worn in your gearbox probably be arounf £1000 , or go for a second hand gearbox from a breakers cost about £600 and then labour on top to swap the gearbox, recommend a new clutch at the same time, reson i know a bit about your problem is i took my gearbox out and replaced a gearbox bearing a few months ago .
Thanks for the feedback Blaster, It didn't make sense to me either, however I'm a complete novice on mechanics, so have no clue what sensors or electronic equipment they have monitoring the engine. What was strange though they really advised me to sell the car but they didn't want to purchase it. This time last year my turbo went and that was covered by Renault, but the same garage said at the time for Renault to pay for the turbo, I'd need to have a service to bring the history up to date, so I did that. :confused:

Update: just picked my car up and it was a seal between the gearbox and the engine that had gone. It had made its way into the gearbox and caused damage, so they have removed the bits and replaced the seal. They advised me that the gearbox would fail in 4-6 months time so it would be advisable to sell it now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it was sorted some months ago but I thought I'd say how this turned out. Ended up changing the box for a Renault supplied recon and they paid half the cost (was a battle)... apprently 40ish k is a 'good service life' :mad:

My already low opinion of Renault's customer care wasn't helped when the car promptly dumped the fluid contents of its shiny new gearbox on the road overnight straight after collecting it due to a half-shaft seal not being installed properly.

Time to get rid ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts