Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably has been covered.. and i did a search but its baffling me..

I have a Lag II 2003 1.8 petrol Auto...

its been running great since i got it in November last year.. but today i used it this afternoon and it was normal.. but tonight i went out to the shops and started it up and it was running like a bag of spanners, my 1st thought was coil pack.. so i left it running took a lead of each coil and made it sound even worse.. typical thing i called out the RAC and when he started it.. it was running fine.. however he did say that it could still be the coil pack breaking down.. to which he had them on the van but at £127+vat per pair.. i wasn't going to chance it.

So my question is, would the coil packs be the problem? i really dont want to deal with my local renault dealer because i dont know if they know how to work a spanner..!

thanks for any advice you can give me..

also again i am sorry if this has been covered before.

Many thanks

Stuart

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Is it coil per plug?

If so,then you need to disconnect the injectors invidually rather than the coils as they are wired in pairs.

It does sound strange that the recovery chap wanted to sell you a pair of coils.......maybe your car isn't coil per plug.:confused:.I'd wait for a response from a Renault Tech before making a decision!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it coil per plug?

If so,then you need to disconnect the injectors invidually rather than the coils as they are wired in pairs.

It does sound strange that the recovery chap wanted to sell you a pair of coils.......maybe your car isn't coil per plug.:confused:.I'd wait for a response from a Renault Tech before making a decision!:)
If i think what you mean, i have a plug on each spark plug with a block with two wires on each on the tops.. i unplugged each coil stick one at a time.. and it made the engine sound even rougher.. so my thoughts thats it wasn't the coil stick.. but i could be wrong..

thank you for your quick resonce.. i love this place :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Does your engine/coils look anything like this?

If so,then you have a coil per plug.You do need to disconnect the injectors(down the front of the engine) to check which coil is faulty.The coils are earthed in pairs,so if you disconnect one you also disconnect another,hence why the engine sounded worse when you were testing them as the engine was only firing on two!

The coils are available aftermarket for around £35 each and are easy to change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your engine/coils look anything like this?

If so,then you have a coil per plug.You do need to disconnect the injectors(down the front of the engine) to check which coil is faulty.The coils are earthed in pairs,so if you disconnect one you also disconnect another,hence why the engine sounded worse when you were testing them as the engine was only firing on two!

The coils are available aftermarket for around £35 each and are easy to change.

Thank you so much for you quick reply, yes thats the same engine as mine.. and you wouldn't believe it ( well probably you would) but i just gone to go back out.. and bag of spanners.. :( so i am waiting for RAC to come back out and have a look.. looks like if it is the coils i will have to bite the bullet and pay their prices or have no car and a long battle with my local dealer.. all the time i cant get to work and earn the money to fix it :( :(

oh why oh why!! hehe

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Probably a coil..

The correct way to identify the faulty one is to remove the cover over the injectors. Then remove each injector lead one by one and see which one doesn't make the misfire worse..

Removing the coil lead does not help as the coils operate in pairs.. Cyl 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 using the "wasted spark" type ignition.
So by removing a lead disconnects the paired coil. Also and more importantly by pulling a coil out or a lead it still allows unburnt fuel to enter the CAT and so risking damaging it quicker..

Coils are available from the likes of Eurocarparts at around £40 each.. Don't get ripped of by the AA or anyone else for that matter..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Probably a coil..

The correct way to identify the faulty one is to remove the cover over the injectors. Then remove each injector lead one by one and see which one doesn't make the misfire worse..

Removing the coil lead does not help as the coils operate in pairs.. Cyl 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 using the "wasted spark" type ignition.
So by removing a lead disconnects the paired coil. Also and more importantly by pulling a coil out or a lead it still allows unburnt fuel to enter the CAT and so risking damaging it quicker..

Coils are available from the likes of Eurocarparts at around £40 each.. Don't get ripped of by the AA or anyone else for that matter..
Thats really helpful to know.. thank you... just had the RAC back out.. he seems to think (even though i told him otheriwse) if you pull the plug wire on top of each coil stick.. if 1- is cuts out.. its fine.. 2- runs worse = the one thats playing up.. as he said because 1 is failed.. if you unplug a healthy one it will cut out 2 and will cut out because only 1 good one works.. but if you unplug one of the two is failed.. will run but badly on 2..

either way.. he changed 2 at a total cost to me of £69 he says the previous bloke was wrong as they are £30 ish pounds each not £65 like they used to be..

i did ask for all 4 to be done.. but alas he only had two with him :( but i will go out and buy a set of 4 just in case.. i can do it by my self at the road side instead of getting them out..

so fingers crossed its still fine tomorrow.. infact its got more go since he changed them.. strangely even the gearbox is smoother and it starts quick.. not that it took forever but it seems to JUMP into life.. as spose a minor splutter and a umm ok i am running..

Thank you very much for all your help.

Stuart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts