Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove rear shocks from my lag II but can't get teh shock out of the axle.

Bolts came undone easy peasy-thought this is too easy.............hmmmmmm

I've tried oil, heating, freezing and using a 7lb hammer but doesn't budge at ALL not even a microscopic amount.

Any suggestions please (tonight will try using a small kango)

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
you need to heat it - had to do it on mine and they were tight in.
think i had to apply heat for several minutes and i got moaned at as the whole house stunk of rubber (house attached to garage!)

top mounting is fine it's the bottom one where the water always get at

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it just won't budge, heated for ages lots of smoke-no joy in fact just smashed the shock off the 'pin', so tried my small kango on the pin by seating it against the lip and it still won't budge.
and it's been soaked in WD40 over night and all day.

If only Renault would build the rest of the car like it may be they won't break so often.....

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
i had the lower pins left too - held them firmly with mole grips, heated them and wiggled and they came out.
sorry can be no further help...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got the 'pin' out. Ended up drill an 8.5mm hole all the way through the side of the pin and inserting an 8mm high tensile steel bolt.

I then inserted another bolt through the hole on outside of axle until it stopped at the previously inserted bolt.

Gave it loads os heat and a couple fo wacks with a BIG hammer to teh outside bolt and the pin shot out and flew across my drive.

Was surrpised to find only 0.5" of the pin was all thet was holding it in.

Start the other side tomorrow......

Tom

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Finally got the 'pin' out. Ended up drill an 8.5mm hole all the way through the side of the pin and inserting an 8mm high tensile steel bolt.

I then inserted another bolt through the hole on outside of axle until it stopped at the previously inserted bolt.

Gave it loads os heat and a couple fo wacks with a BIG hammer to teh outside bolt and the pin shot out and flew across my drive.

Was surrpised to find only 0.5" of the pin was all thet was holding it in.

Start the other side tomorrow......

Tom
An alternative to the big hammer is to put the suspension bolt into the outer end of the bush; this can then come to bear on the bolt fitted in the cross-drilled hole, and can allow a lot of force without having the risk of impacting anything less robust (including fingers).
If the shock is knackered, then you can drill the hole through the whole mounting, so do not have to remove the shock from the pin before advancing to the big force stage. But I would avoid removing the lower pin if the shock is not knackered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts