Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much work and cost do you think is involved in converting my Lag II's standard Air-Con to the climate control?

I have had a look and I seem the have the sun sensor in the dash (centre near windscreen) and also the humidity sensor (in rear view mirror/interior lights control part)

Both sensors seem to be wired to something. I can't trace back to where the wires from each sensor go as I don't want to dismantle half the cars inside to find out.

I've also had the standard air-con control panel out and it seems to have some of the plugs/connector to plug straight into the rear of a climate control unit?

Can anyone advise as I am willing to spend a few pounds on a conversion if it's 1, Worth the money and 2, Worth the hassle.

I have a mechanic friend who can help me with it. So I won't be trying this as a complete novice on my own. I just need to know is it gonna be worth it and what cost to expect and what extra parts are required. I can also pick up an control unit from my local Renault breakers for around £50 as he gets around 5 in a week from smashed up cars and I know him well so he'll keep one aside for me when it comes in :)

I would really like to go to the climate as at present I cannot get my standard air-con to keep the car at a nice temp. I either feel too warm or too cold I never find a happy in between level :eek:

My air con is working fine. It's just in this worderful varied climate of ours you need to keep playing with the temp dial on the standard set up to keep the car comfortable as the weather changes from 1 minute to another here LOL!! With Climate control it would keep the car at the same temp and comfort level automatically without me having to play about with temp settings every 5 mins LOL

My friends Lag II though has the climate control and it seems to keep a nice comfortable level of temp when set to suit.

Help or advice would be appriciated from all :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Nell - there is a vast difference between the two - for a start the control panel on the climate control model has 3 plug-in connectors and a range of electronically controlled flaps in the air distribution system. The sensor in the mirror head containd a small fan and constantly draws air over the sensors which do three things - it monitors humidity, temperature, and air quality and the system can then decide to use fresh air or recirculated air - heat cool etc.,. Check if the sampler in the mirror is working - when started it should make a low hum - I have climate control and when I took the sampler out it was bunged full of fluff and dust and after a bit of coaxing got the motor to run - maybe that is why your system isn't running well - also place a bit of tinfoil over the screen sensor and see if thee is any difference. On my system if the sun has been shining through the windscreen it will automatically direct cool air up over the screen.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not have the climate control just now!?!

The fan/humidity sensor/ temp sensor etc and the sun sensor are present and have wires running from them but at present serve no purpose as the standard air-con doesn't need them I believe.

Obviously I don't want to go stripping the car to find where the wires go after they leave the sensor and disappear down behind the dashboard or into the roof space!

My air-con works fine. The problem I am having is that I drive long distances for work. With the standard air-con I set the temperature and all is fine. But with our wonderful varied climate one min the sun is blazing into the car and you set the temp to suit. The next it dissappears and the rain starts and the car becomes cold and you need to adjust the temp again to suit. It's a pain in the rear-end to be doing this every 5 mins on 5 hour drives etc LOL

With climate it would erradicate this! It would maintain the inside temp no matter what the outside and inside conditions of the car were like and how many times they changed. My last car had dual climate and it was fantastic. i would really like it again in my Lag II :d

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I vaguely remeber one member has apparently succesfully coverted his Lag, just by fitting the climate control panel. He also had the various sensors etc already in place. If you try a search you may well find exactly what he did.
I suppose if you can get hold of a climate control panel cheap enough you have nothing to lose! Possibly even find someone kind enough to let you plug their control panel into your car and see if it works!
If you don't have the necessary control gear already fitted to your car the expense and hassle is not worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts