Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. I have a laguna mk 1 rt sport. Over the last couple of days I have a screeching noise coming from the fan belt. My belt is tight and I have been told its a tension pulley.
I just wanted a second opinion as the main dealer has said that the pulley on its own costs £85 + vat and the whole kit is £100 + vat.

Spraying the belt with maintenance spray stops the screeching noise for a little while but is comes back quite quickly. Is this easy to fix and will it damage the engine as I need my car to get to and from work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I would avoid driving it any great distance as if the pulley seizes or the belt breaks,then it could cause serious damage as the auxillary belt can get wrapped around the crank shaft pulley and wreck the cambelt,which is not good!!:eek:

Which engine does your car have?

I'm sure a moderator will be along soon to move your post to the correct section of the forum.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laguna MK1

hi, its a 16v 1.8 rt sport.
i have a 30 mile round trip. If i'm not pushing my car can this pulley thing be left until the weekend?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I personally wouldn't chance it......

If the belt or pulley is screeching,then it means that what ever is causing the noise is about to break!.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts