Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm replacing my 54 plate Laguna 1.8 Petrol with either another Laguna or a Mondeo.

It's a company car and I like the tax costs of the 1.5 dci but will it have enough power for the size of the car when it has a family in it?

And towing a trailer tent?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Hi all,
I'm replacing my 54 plate Laguna 1.8 Petrol with either another Laguna or a Mondeo.

It's a company car and I like the tax costs of the 1.5 dci but will it have enough power for the size of the car when it has a family in it?

And towing a trailer tent?

Any input would be appreciated.
Hi
I test drove one of these the other day and while I thought it was ok with just me in it I think if you start adding any sort of weight it will struggle.

Best thing to do is find one at a dealer near you and drive one - slow can be a very subjective word. I'd also try and find a 2.0 dci 150 for comparison.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

does it have to be a Renault. The 1.5 dci is a decent unit, but the 1.9 dci or 2.0 dci is better. What other makes have you considered?

Harry.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I drove one a few months back and I was surprised at how it went but I did get the distinct impression the engine was working at its upper limits.

The Lag is a heavy car and although on paper the power to weight ratio looks OK in practice I felt it had to be pushed hard all the time and that was without any passengers or trailer. Also it seemed to fade on going up hills.:)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If thats the same one as in the new megane 106dci (same bhp and torque figures etc) then I would say you would need the bigger engine, if only to stop it working so hard.

My megane has the 106Dci engine in, with 4 people in it goes well enough but I imagine with a trailer tent in to the mix and a full boot it may start to struggle and be hard work to drive on long journeys.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The Laguna 1.5 dCi is one of those tax-bracket speacials, isn't it? If so, its design brief was to save money while offering just acceptable performance.
I would test drive one, and if it is ok, buy it and enjoy the savings. However, if you find the performance wanting, I don't think the next diesel engine up is that much more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys. I have now test driven a 1.5 and was really impressed with it. With just me and the salesman in it, it pulled so much better than my 1.8 petrol. Sure, it won't beat a 2 litre away from the traffic lights but that doesn't worry me at all. There's just me in it most of the time and it has plenty enough poke.

Company car tax is very low and mpg is very high. Plus, they're having trouble getting electronics from Japan so if I order a new one I won't get it until July/August. However, they have an ex demo 2010 plate 1.5 dci dynamique tomtom with 9,000 miles on the clock sitting on the forecourt for £12k.

So I've bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts