Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya ppl.....

My Laguna (1.8 N reg manual) died on me yesterday in a horrible way! Going down a dual carriageway the gears packed in.....I could get it moving in 1st and 2nd but no other gears work. No reverse or anything. It will seem like its going into the gears but then when rev'd its like your in neutral.

When in 1st and 2nd it sounds like an electric car & cant get over 25-30mph (at a push)

My dad jacked it up today & said he cant see anything obviously wrong so called Renault who told him it isnt economical to fix.....

Anyone know what it could be and how much it'd cost to fix?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It sounds like either clutch failure or gearbox problems.:(

Either job is going to be pretty expensive,so unless your in love with the car,it's time to call it a day,I'm afraid.

A clutch would be around £300 to replace,if it needs a gearbox then add £200 for a second hand unit.(It would be pointless replacing just the gearbox without doing the clutch at the same time if the 'box was found to be at fault).If you could find a relative or friend to do the work for you,then obviously this would make it a lot cheaper.The thing is,good Lagunas of the same age as yours could be bought for £500,so you need to think carefully before you make a decision.Unless yours is in good overall condition,I'd be tempted to go for another slightly later one.:)

Just my opinion,others may disagree(and probably will!:rolleyes:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Yep - Time to change the name in the owners handbook I'm afraid - anything can be fixed but the cost is the over riding factor.:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there an easy (ish) way of finding out if it is the clutch?

I had a new clutch fitted back in October and its guaranteed for 2 years so obviously if its that then they'll have to sort it.

I'm not in love with the car hehe

just not in a position to buy another *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Gearbox or Clutch

Hi Minerva – the fact you can get into one or two gears and the car moves doesn’t sound like a faulty clutch to me. You also say it’s making a whining noise and can’t get reverse – sounds like the bearings inside the gearbox have collapsed. Gearboxes aren’t usually economic to repair – so it’s off to the scrappers looking for a new one. Financially I doubt very much if the car is worth repairing as it would probably cost you more to fix than the car is worth.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts