Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondered if someone can offer some constructive advice. I purchased my 52 plate laguna 1.9 dci sport tourer in september 2006. It came with a 1 year warranty(allegedly the top warranty!). In March 2007 it began losing power and churning out thick black smoke. Garage said it was intercooler and egr valve. Warranty people didn't want to cough up as said it was wear and tear. After much discussion, intercooler replaced and egr cleaned at the warranty companys expense. On friday 25th May we (myself, husband, 5 and 1 year old daughters) set off for a long weekend away. 20 minutes into journey fuel injection fault light came on. As i had lost confidence following cars last repair i turned off the A1 and was going to the nearest garage. 5 minutes later, the car went to maximum revs, thick black smoke came pouring out of the bonnet and we all thought we were going to die. the car would not stall, i pressed the stop button with no effect and removed the key - nothing. In the end there were three fire trucks and a very frightened family!!!!!!! Car towed back to garage from where it was purchased. 5 days later the warranty company refuse to pay as they say they told garage that there was a probable fault with the turbo and at the very least it should have been inspected following the repairs 7 weeks ago. The garage never inspected the turbo. they told me yesterday that the warranty company had told them the turbo should be replaced at the expense of the customer but without consulting or informing me the garage told the warranty company this was not going to happen! Anyway sorry to waffle but i feel the garage have returned my car knowing there was a probable fault but not informed me of this. The car is being taken to another garage to see if it would be covered by the yellow ots scheme. however, the car was over revving for so long we have been told that the engine will be shot. to add icing to the cake the garage manager told me it looks like the clutch is not working as a result of my trying to stall the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone advise who should be stumping up for what i feel is going to be a massive bill as i feel the garage where i bought the car from have put my family in danger. Thanks:steam:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi you say the fuel injection light came on and thick black smoke ?? could you still rev the engine ?? was there any power when you put your foot down ?? the intercooler and EGR valve have been replaced if so that would indicate to me the turbo is failing or failed. As for your warranty only you can sort it but I would give it to a solicitor to study, if you have to foot the bill and need to have a new turbo provide the parts yourself and half the bill some places quoted me 700 for turbo but contact Turbo Technics tel. 01604 705050 cost me 368 quid for replacement you will need the small blue plate off the old turbo with the number and to define if its a KKK or a Garet turbo when or if you order its overnite delivery, finally DO make sure the garage that you choose to repair the car are competent in replacing turbos on a renault, also make sure the Cat is checked had to replace mine after turbo blew.
Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
yorkshire jewel

I drive a 2002 scenic with 41000 on clock. 7 weeks ago the turbo blow up with no warning, as discribed by other drivers it there was no way to stop it, key out of ignition didnt stop managed to stall it but not before smoke/noise frightened my 2 young children and dog. Motorplan warranty premium plan refuse to pay as they say it is my fault I must have known there was a problem. Any one else suffered sudden turbo blow up. Local Renault garage where I bought the car last October are not helpful. I realise I have a fight on my hands what is the Yellow OTS any advice appreciated,

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If the car wouldn't stall in 6th, then it sounds like the clutch was probably slipping a bit already. Trying to stall the engine will have been the last nail in the clutch's coffin, but you can be fairly sure that it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.

The Yellow OTS (in this context, at least) is a kind of vague admission by Renault that the turbos on these cars aren't as robust as they should be. They'll replace them out of warranty (or at least contribute towards the costs) if your car meets the requirements on age, mileage and service history. The history doesn't necessarily have to be at a Renault dealer, but the car must have been serviced to the manufacturer's schedule by a VAT registered garage, using Renault approved parts. You will probably need receipts to prove this if any of the servicing has been caried out outside of the dealer network.

If your car meets the requirements, then the Yellow OTS scheme would be the first thing I would pursue. Renault have been known to pay out up to 100% of the repair costs, so it has to be worth exploring.

Failing that, you'll have to go back to the warranty company. It's not unusual for them to use the 'wear and tear' clause to get out of claims, and as this one's a biggy, I'd have been surprised if they didn't give it a shot. As I see it, they're happy to take your premiums on a four year old car, and they can't expect any of the components to be in 'as new' condition. I would not expect a good turbo to fail in less than 100K miles, so if your car is on the right side of this figure, I'd give it to them with both barrels and seek legal advice if they won't play ball.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
5 Years or 90K miles.. Covers all 1.9 DCi's from 2001 onwards.. (engine code F9Q 750 & F9Q 800)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I turned off the A1 and was going to the nearest garage. 5 minutes later, the car went to maximum revs, thick black smoke came pouring out of the bonnet and we all thought we were going to die.

If this turbo failure happened while you were driving on the road and the situation created from a drivers point of view, a road traffic safety issue to either your life, or that of others. I suggest you send the details to VOSA
I don't think they will be amused, this issue's been going on way too long.
You will need to be careful how you phrase any letter there's little point I guess in telling them There was thick black smoke all over the place, stick to any road safety issues that occurred.

For the attention of Jeffrey Sweeting.
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency
Vehicle Safety Branch
Berkeley House
Croydon Street
BRISTOL BS5 0DA
Tel: 0117 954 3300

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Renault Laguna 1.9DCi - 4.5 years old - Turbo blew on the M42, loads of thick smoke (I assume sucked all the oil out of the engine), and engine died (never to be started again). The car is currently in Renault Approved Dealer (for 3 weeks now). They say turbo and engine (seized) need replacing. Car is out of warranty but only done 41k miles!! Renault UK initially said because the 36k mile service hadn't been carried out, they wouldn't pay a penny. I have escalated within Renault UK and our case is being dealt by a Customer Relations Mgr, but I'm not confident. Service was missed because the computer didn't tell us the service was due (or show the 'spanner' sign) and car was in local Renault Approved Dealer at 31.5k and 36.5k miles - neither time did they remind us that the service was due / late. Also, to add to the facts, the car has always had a problem with fuel injection. We've been the only owners from new and the engine used to cut out at random (normally on the motorway in a dangerous position!!) and show the fuel injection light fault - went in to local Renault Approved Dealer 3 times, at 5k, 15.5k and 36.6k miles - each time they couldn't find a fault and didn't resolve the problem. We are claiming to Renault UK that it was related, that the problem existed whilst the car was under the warranty and they should honour the claim. But nothing so far. Latest is that Renault UK want the oil to be sent away for analysis, so more weeks delays expected!! Anyone got any suggestions on how we can ENSURE Renault pay full contribution for the turbo and engine replacement, please - already been quoted £3k for the engine and £600 for the turbo, plus labour, plus VAT!! Help!!

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I own a Renault Laguna 1.9DCi - 4.5 years old - Turbo blew on the M42, loads of thick smoke (I assume sucked all the oil out of the engine), and engine died (never to be started again). The car is currently in Renault Approved Dealer (for 3 weeks now). They say turbo and engine (seized) need replacing. Car is out of warranty but only done 41k miles!! Renault UK initially said because the 36k mile service hadn't been carried out, they wouldn't pay a penny. I have escalated within Renault UK and our case is being dealt by a Customer Relations Mgr, but I'm not confident. Service was missed because the computer didn't tell us the service was due (or show the 'spanner' sign) and car was in local Renault Approved Dealer at 31.5k and 36.5k miles - neither time did they remind us that the service was due / late. Also, to add to the facts, the car has always had a problem with fuel injection. We've been the only owners from new and the engine used to cut out at random (normally on the motorway in a dangerous position!!) and show the fuel injection light fault - went in to local Renault Approved Dealer 3 times, at 5k, 15.5k and 36.6k miles - each time they couldn't find a fault and didn't resolve the problem. We are claiming to Renault UK that it was related, that the problem existed whilst the car was under the warranty and they should honour the claim. But nothing so far. Latest is that Renault UK want the oil to be sent away for analysis, so more weeks delays expected!! Anyone got any suggestions on how we can ENSURE Renault pay full contribution for the turbo and engine replacement, please - already been quoted £3k for the engine and £600 for the turbo, plus labour, plus VAT!! Help!!
I would suggest you save the money and put it towards an old passat 1.9 tdi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick update to instill a little hope to all having laguna 2 problems. My car is now being repaired with the garage bearing the whole cost!!! Car needs replacement engine, turbo and driveshaft. Garage are to continue in talks with the warranty company(who are still refusing to contribute ANYTHING) following them returning the car to me. Must be something to do with my incandesant rage in the showroom!! Anyway my car should be back with me by about the end of next week. As for being the owner of a renault - NEVER AGAIN. The whole experience of renault and warranty companies has left a very bitter taste. Anyone got suggestions as to what to buy next?:eek:

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Although I would be the first to agree these turbo problems are an expensive pain in the a$$e, it sounds to me like in this case Renault have been very fair minded in repairing the car, and your main augment now is better aimed at the warranty company more so, than Renault.
Nevertheless good luck with whatever the next car purchase. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Renault aren't and wouldn't reapir the car through the yellow ots scheme. It's the garage i purchased it from who are repairing the car. They have finally realised that they were at fault!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My kangoo 4x4 1.9dci has just gone the same way. The engine began to spuriously rev on my way home one night. The oil warning light was saying it was low and smoke was starting to come out the back. Before I got home, i stopped at some road works and the engine red-lined all on its own. I got the keys out bit it still revved until the smoke came and the revs slowed to a stop. I still dont know the extent of the damage but I'm taking it up to my local garage next week for them to have a look. The AA said the turbo was shot. I'm hoping the engine inst cooked as I'd just got a new timing belt ready to fit that same day.

Does anyone know where's the best place to look for 2nd hand turbo's and possibly engines?

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
In the case of a runaway you need to stall the engine - put it in gear and stamp on the break. Sorry this is too late for you. Your engine is almost certainly fubarred, or at least will require a major rebuild, in addition to replaced turbo, intercooler, all piping, and possibly EGR, plus oil and filter change. I don't know how you show this is the case but I expect the engine will simply no longer turn over. For replacement parts you need a donor vehicle, but it may be more cost effective to scrap - sorry - although yours being a 4 x 4 could be worth saving if faily new. What year is it, put that in your sig as it will aid responses. May also qualify for yellow OTS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts