Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. after ages of searching though the forums i still havent managed to find a picture with the location of the EGR valve. Please help!

I cleaned my brother in laws yesterday on the 2.2 but as expected is in a different place. I have a suspicion where it is but would like to be reasurred. Does it have a black plastic cap over it? (caps sticks out about an inch)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. after ages of searching though the forums i still havent managed to find a picture with the location of the EGR valve. Please help!

I cleaned my brother in laws yesterday on the 2.2 but as expected is in a different place. I have a suspicion where it is but would like to be reasurred. Does it have a black plastic cap over it? (caps sticks out about an inch)

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I am new to this forum too but may be able to help you locate the proverbial EGR Valve. ( I am planning to attack mine when I have a spare ready to go in :d. It is located on the inlet manifold under the throttle damper unit. I found the best way to see it is remove the air intake pipe, from the throttle, move it over the engine cover bolt. There is an electrical connector (facing the bulkhead) to remove and you have 3 x 10mm bolts to remove. With luck the egr vv should come out as one. ( I havent had any on that score.lol). I would check other threads though on stuck/broke EGR Valve removal. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
On some of the later Dci engine it is located in a different area.

If you could post up a picture of the negine some members may be able to recognise it.

A good guide to tracing it location is to follow the plumbing coming form the exhaust usually recognised by the relatively short dia., steel pipe with concertina ripples.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On some of the later Dci engine it is located in a different area.

If you could post up a picture of the negine some members may be able to recognise it.

A good guide to tracing it location is to follow the plumbing coming form the exhaust usually recognised by the relatively short dia., steel pipe with concertina ripples.:)
Thats what i did. But the exhaust pipe is actually about 3x longer than on the 2.2's It basically comes off the damper and down midway into the back of the engine. Every picture i have seen so far (including my haynes manual 2001-2005) has had a different looking engine in. The only thing i can see that might resemble an EGR is a black plastic kind of cap opposite the exhaust return pipe on the damper that has a plug going onto it. Struggling for a picture at the moment as my camera decided to give up on me too. Typical. Ill see if i can find my engine on google.

p.s My laguna is the 2006 phase 2 model. If that helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Wilko,
I have a late 2005 laguna 1.9 dci 120bhp and cleaned my egr valve at the weekend.
It is as described in the last post a metal cylinder under the throttle damper unit with the black plastic end which has the electrical connector on it.
Mine came off quite easily with a few good sprays of wd40 and the use of a pair of oil filter removal grips to aid twisting by gripping the triangular surround to the fixing holes not the body of the valve.
As well as removing the inlet pipe I took off the throttle body without disconnecting any cables and was then able to reach it with ease.
The egr valve itself was fairly clean but the two exhaust gas inlet ports in the manifold were completely blocked with oily muck.
Got it all hoked out and re-fitted the valve with a new gasket.
Its a new car ,nice ,even ,quiet tick over and a great deal more responsive from everywhere in the rev range but especially noticeable difference as the turbo kicks in well worth the effort.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that info. Now i know where the egr is i'll clean it out and the inlets too. I'll see if the car behaves any better. :)

I'll post the results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Wilko,
I have a late 2005 laguna 1.9 dci 120bhp and cleaned my egr valve at the weekend.
It is as described in the last post a metal cylinder under the throttle damper unit with the black plastic end which has the electrical connector on it.
Mine came off quite easily with a few good sprays of wd40 and the use of a pair of oil filter removal grips to aid twisting by gripping the triangular surround to the fixing holes not the body of the valve.
As well as removing the inlet pipe I took off the throttle body without disconnecting any cables and was then able to reach it with ease.
The egr valve itself was fairly clean but the two exhaust gas inlet ports in the manifold were completely blocked with oily muck.
Got it all hoked out and re-fitted the valve with a new gasket.
Its a new car ,nice ,even ,quiet tick over and a great deal more responsive from everywhere in the rev range but especially noticeable difference as the turbo kicks in well worth the effort.
Hi multibob,
Ive seen lots of posts about egr removal and cleaning, but my question is how hard is it ?? i took my renault engine cover off today,located it had a look at it,it was caked in oil..but then got scared incase i messed it up and couldnt put it together etc. im a complete novice at these things. so i thought id come back to the forum and do some more research.
thanks again
richard

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi multibob,
Ive seen lots of posts about egr removal and cleaning, but my question is how hard is it ?? i took my renault engine cover off today,located it had a look at it,it was caked in oil..but then got scared incase i messed it up and couldnt put it together etc. im a complete novice at these things. so i thought id come back to the forum and do some more research.
thanks again
richard
Hi, EGR was pretty easy to clean on mine, bit of brake/carb cleaner and a toothbrush did it and only took around half an hour altogether. Unfortunately i was too late and already did my seals in (didnt have many symptoms upto this point either).

My advice to you is if you feel able because it is a fairly simple job then get it done ASAP. Mine cost me a new turbo and then i sold my car (it had done 34K). Wish i could of kept it but didnt want to risk it happening again after the money it cost to repair it.

There are plenty of guides on youtube or hear if you need any help but it is a straight forward cleaning job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
Looking to service the EGR on a friends Laguna, car is a 1.9dCi of 2006 vintage - I am conversant with the process of cleaning the unit itself having owned a Clio dCi for a few years, but a quick peer under the bonnet yesterday didnt show an obvious EGR as such?

Engine is this type -

The car is coming back later today for another look (was getting dark yesterday so we couldnt get too involved...), I have a Haynes manual in the post - any hints & tips would be most gratefully received! :d

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Looks like they have changed the design of the 1.9 dci as mine is a lot different to that.

Anyway..

The metal pipe with the corrugations in it that goes to the inlet manifold this will be the pipe that brings the exhaust gasses to the EGR valve.
Look straight across to the right from where that pipe connects to the manifold...the first black circular thing mounted vertically looks like it's the EGR valve.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like they have changed the design of the 1.9 dci as mine is a lot different to that.

Anyway..

The metal pipe with the corrugations in it that goes to the inlet manifold this will be the pipe that brings the exhaust gasses to the EGR valve.
Look straight across to the right from where that pipe connects to the manifold...the first black circular thing mounted vertically looks like it's the EGR valve.

Cheers.
All done! Found some very helpful info online for the early 1.9 but not this one? Was looking for the EGR solenoid as per fitted to my Clio...

(Now has a "remote" EGR, the original shuttle is still in place with a blanking plate to seal it, the solenoid works another shuttle as you can see, both EGR and ECU are happy all is well. ;) )

Could'nt see the EGR unit for looking... you are right - they have kindly made the unit most accessible, was easy enough to remove.

The solenoid works the valve as such b rotating a butterfly the other end of the unit? Needless to say this was Very Claggy & got a good scrape out with a screwdriver, picks & brake cleaner.

Hooked carbon out of the manifolds, refitted & all good! Painless... :d

·
2,063 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.

You want to try to find a way to blank the thing off, you shouldn't feed an engine its own exhaust fumes it's just not right.

On my car I was able to spin the EGR valve through 180 degrees in the hole, the downside is that only one of the bolt holes lines up but if you put a large washer on one of the bolts the washer presses on the flange of the valve and nips it up nice & tight. It been like this for a couple of years now with no problems.

Cheers.

·
2,063 Posts
To be honest if you cant find it after reading through this thread you can't be trying very hard.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Total noob here but can someone point me in the direction of where the egr valve is on this engine ( renault laguna 1.9 dci ) ..... sorry about the poor quality image but i was getting wet at the time ( typical scottish weather )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
thats it, take the pipe off, then undo the three 10mm bolts holding the valve to manifold, easy to see / get at with that out the way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts