Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
timing settings new belt

Have just had new turbo/exhaust + cat/MAF sensor and piston and scrapper rings also replacement pump, but putting new timing belt on and lining up the marks on the belt with timing ive been told its not in line with pump and the car wont start go back to old belt setting and car starts but this setting for the new belt looks wrong are these marks just a guide or must they be obeyed

·
Registered
65 Posts
On most Renault engines you must use timing tools to set up the cam belt timing - especially on the diesel versions. To make things more difficult, Renault do not use keys to locate the belt sprockets to the shafts. making any timing marks on the sprockets irrelevant.
Make sure you know how to set the timing correctly - getting it wrong can be very expensive!
I know how to set the petrol engines but I havn't done a diesel, Hopefully you will get some advice.

Gary

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a lot of work done recently on my car, new turbo, cat and exhaust, piston and scraper rings, 2nd hand diesel pump, maf sensor, egr valve cleaned, and its running like new but the service light and fuel injection lights are on permanantly as you drive if I am driving along with limited power and I dip the clutch and give it full revs the lights go out as soon as I engage the clutch again the lights come straight on, I know i've got a faulty injector (dripping) overnight and am changing these tomorro but would that be the cause of the lights coming on and the limited power ??

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8, as said the leaky injector wont help and may be the cause as it will fire larger amounts of fuel when the car is under load, also check to see if the pump timming is out, this will allow you to free rev, but once it comes under load it will become noticabale.

only a sugestion m8 good luck alex

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Laguna 1.9dti fuel injection

:crazy: Can anyone shine a light on this problem I'm sure I cant be the only one to suffer, my laguna has the Service light and injection light on permanantly and is in safe mode I've replaced the injectors, maf sensor, turbo ,cat and exhaust, cleaned the EGR valve, renewed piston and scrapper rings, start it up and on tick over purrs lovely go to drive and as soon as I let clutch out lights come on it will drive around but limited power if I drop the clutch and floor the throttle lights go out let clutch out and there back on, it has shut down once when I did this. I have been told by a peugeout diesel owner he had same problem and disconnected the wire from pump to ECU the lights stayed on but car was fine I belive if you do this with a renault it wont start ?? also I have had neumerous clip tests done on the car (renault dealer) no fault recorded... Can anyone shed a light :confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Alan - looks like you've spent some time on your motor - although it idles OK does it rev up OK whilst stationery and out of gear. Does you r car have common rail or multi-port injection.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible to set the timing up properly and the pump timing without using the renault locking plates? can you do the timing for the engine and the pump by just the guide marks on the timing belt?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone tell me please if its possible to set the timing and the pump timing up without the renault locking bars ???

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
is the laguna a laguna I or II?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lack of power

My laguna has the service light and fuel injection light on starts ok and drives but lacks power i am convinced its an electrical problem in the loom from the ecu to the injector needle sensor ?? Ive had a clip test and 3 faults, needle sensor, injection sensor, and maf, the maf is brand new and the injectors and pump have been changed and are ok, the computer on the clip indicated a faulty brown wire in the loom does the one wire supply these 3 or if one of these sensors is down does it knock the other 2 out ????????

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Threads Merged.

Alan,I know your desperate to find a solution to your problem,but can you please stop starting new threads.All you have to do is go back to your original thread and add a new reply,this will bring it back to the top of pile and bring it to the attention of everyone again.

Thank you.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
timing set up

I've had the timing set on my laguna 1.9dti however no matter how good we think we are we dont have the renault locking tool to set the timing and the pump timing the car starts and runs smooth but service light and fuel injection lights are on and we have limited power do we have been told that its near impossible to set the timing and pump without the proper renault tool .... anybody confirm this one please

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Timing set up sorted

For future refrence for owners of phase 1 laguna,s 1.9dti, I have spoke to renault technitan direct about the timing and he told me YES you definatly must have the locking plates and pin to do the timing and pump if you dont use these then other conflicts happen as i have discovered, service light and fuel injection light with limited power also fault codes for Maf even though it's brand new and faul code for advanced solanoid, hope this helps other owners
Alan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Renault 1.9dti engine

Some information for owners of renault owners with 1.9dti engines. I;ve had loads of bother with my laguna but just got it back today and i'm overcome with joy at (bloody last)after fitting a new turbo,Maf, clean Egr, piston rings, the service light and fuel injection lights came on everytime I drove it with a lack of power in fact it was flat, finally figured it out the timing was out didn't feel or sound as if it was out but I found out that you must use the Renault locking pin and plate did that today and WOW like a new car all faults are gone brilliant, as a bit more info if the timing is not 100% ¤¤¤¤ on it will cause conflicts and throw up fault codes i.e mine was telling me the maf and advance solinoid faults the maf is brand spanking new and pump is exchange unit so beware these false codes hope this helps some of us..........ALAN

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Well done on getting it sorted Alan.:)

(Threads merged....again...:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys first i would like to apologise if this has been answered somewhere else i cant find it! Now this is my problem and i am sure some of you will be shaking your head with disgust and such a simple question:eek: i need to replace my head gasket but would like to set my timing up first ,now according to the haynes manual i have to turn the crank untill the camshaft sproket is at 12 the fuel pump is at 3 and the crankshaft is at about 7 then look for the indicator on the bellhousing to make sure number 1 is at tdc but i cant find the relevant viewing window on the bellhousing can someone please tell me where to locate it so i can finally get it set up and get on with the head ...........thanks p.s its a laguna II 1.9 dci there is also a whole at the bottom of the oil dipstick to lock everything in place suppose to use a special renault tool or an 8 mm drill bit i went for the drill bit option i got it to go in yesterday but dont know how far its suppose to go in thanks again

1 - 20 of 35 Posts