Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi hope someone out there might be able to help it has 137000 miles on clock excelent starter and runner loads of power etc but it produces quite a bit of black smoke even after giving it a good thrashing any ideas would be really helpfull cheers joe:eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it starts and runs OK,then it can't be anything too serious...

Just one thing,has it got a tuning box fitted to it?.

My dTi (same age and mileage as yours) was very clean smoke wise,so it's not an inherent problem with them.Black smoke isn't so much of a concern as white smoke,but it could be a problem come MOT time.Has it started recently or is it an on going thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smokey dti

thanks for the reply it has been mot'd for a few month i found out it was full of red when tested and a derv fitter altered the thing next to the turbo to get it through ( mot) due to it failing on emisions i have put £70.00 of white through since getting car but havent changed filters or oil ,had a good look today and the smoke is mainly when you give it some right foot or pulling away quite hard hope you have some ideas for me to try coz the car is good and cant addord to change it.
cheers for the help joe
ps no tuning box fitted its standard as far as i know .

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It could be an EGR fault,but usually it causes performance problems too.....

What exactly did the mechanic adjust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smokey tdi

hi i am told it was the actuator he adjusted haven looked i could see where it was to start with (shiny threads) so i put it back now its not as bad but still some black smoke still drives and runs well but on motorway @60+mph its clean i would be gratefull if anyone has any ideas to stop black smoke when in low speeds
cheers once again joe:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
try taking the air filter out, if the black smoke reduces then get a new one, plus woud benefit from a diesel fuel treatment too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts