1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car stalled in a flood yesterday.
water in engine so recovered home.
air filter soaked so removed.
sump level over full mark and oil emulsified.
removed plugs and engine spun over so tried compression test and it seemed ok.
Dried everything off and it fired up as normal so ran it for about a minute to get it on ramps and drained oil and changed filter.
oil was about a litre more than normal and emulsified with water .i cleaned breather system and fired it up again.
ran normally to temperature and idled for 20 minutes till it was
nice and hot then ishut it off and left it.
This morning it wouldnt start.
no spark and plugs dry
any one have any ideas?
it may be unrelated of course

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,
coils are dry and not damaged,
they worked yesterday.
the spark and fuel are both missing,
i am thinking that something that controls spark and fuel has
been affected by water, maybe the ecu and it has shut off or
maybe the autobox controls?
anyway i am starting at basics to work through it.
i have a spare Laguna RXE manual which has the same part
number on the ecu so i will be able to substitute parts but i am concerned if i swap the ecu it may be damaged by a seperate fault

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
As madnoel suggests check ignition coils and HT leads, if I remember correctly the ignition coil units on the 8 valve are right at the front of the engine, I would disconnect them one by one, check for any moisture and dry them as best as possible and give them a squirt of W D 40 before reconnecting.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Floride the fact you have nether spark nor fuel suggests the immobilser is not coming off. Also it may not be simple to replace the ECU as some are programmed to suit a particular engine setup. One other possibility is gear-shift mechanism has got water in it because if the system is reading "Park" it will not permit the engine to start.:)

P.S how badly was the car flooded and to what depth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks madnoel10
i have removed ecu and agree it doesn't match my spare, it wasn't damp but i am warming it on the radiator just in case.
the car was stalled in water deep enough to pass up the inlet tract but when stationary it didn't come inside the car, however it must have saturated the autobox. I agree the gear shift mechanism idea but it should start in either park or neutral so maybe the electrics think it is in drive/reverse etc. It did start and i selected fwd and reverse yesterday, i will check out the connections on the autobox tomorrow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spoke to mrs floride from her shelf in the airing cupboard and realised that the engine won't turn over if selector thinks its not in P or N so started thinking about immobiliser. I had not appreciated the flashing red light on the dash meant the car wasn't going to start and i had left the car locked overnight with the bonnet on the first catch.
Replaced battery and ecu ,activated central locking with bonnet shut then unlocked and it fired up as normal. Warmed up for 10 minuted then shut off and checked all connections and it wouldn't start again so i shut bonnet and locked/unlocked it and it started as usual.Drove fwd and backwards on drive and it cut out . I can restart it after lock/unlock with key out but cutting out is dangerous .I am not sure if this is part of the system resetting itself or caused by the flooding or an unrelated fault so any suggestions will be useful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update
car recovered to garage
both fuel and auto ecus suspected faulty so garage sent to get them tested and are still waiting for result.
If the garage can't get them repaired they say the only way is new.
I can source second hand ecus and if i get immobiliser ecu and a matching key from the same car and swap my key over will this do the trick or are their other components to get?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts