Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the windscreen washer pump to replace it? Is it a bumper off job? I have a search but can't seemto find a guide!

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do I get the windscreen washer pump to replace it? Is it a bumper off job? I have a search but can't seemto find a guide!
If it's any help, I have just replaced the washer pump on a 51 plate Laguna (1.8 Dynamique) without having to remove the bumper.
Underneath the front drivers side there is a plastic cover secured with 10mm bolts and some self tapping hex screws. Once these are removed the plastic cover is quite flexible and can pulled down enough to be able to reach up inside the bumper. Looking from underneath, you can see the bottom of the washer bottle in the corner of the bumper.
It is a tight squeeze, but sliding your hand between the side of the bottle and the bumper (not the front) you will feel the pump motor. It is removed by pulling it outwards (this bit is a bit awkward due to the tight space, but reasonably easy to do). At this point be prepared to get drenched if there is any water left in the bottle.
Once removed, there is enough play in the water pipes & electrical connection to manoeuvre the pump to the rear of the bottle making it much easier to swap over.
:oops:
You will notice that the two water pipes (front & rear wash) are identical. It is therefore best to swap these over to the new pump one at a time to avoid getting the front and rear washers mixed up.
Applying a thin smear of washing up liquid to both the inlet pipes and the nozzle that pushes into the washer bottle will make life much easier when refitting the new pump.
Before refitting, it is a good idea to briefly flick the windscreen washers and listen for the motor spinning just to make sure the electrical connector is fitted OK.
Manoeuvre the pump back into the washer bottle, refit the plastic guard under the car, refill the bottle and that's it all done!
Hope this is of some help to someone. As stated, it is a tight squeeze to reach the pump but easily do-able. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier and quicker than dismantling half the front of the car to remove the bumper and far less daunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's any help, I have just replaced the washer pump on a 51 plate Laguna (1.8 Dynamique) without having to remove the bumper.
Underneath the front drivers side there is a plastic cover secured with 10mm bolts and some self tapping hex screws. Once these are removed the plastic cover is quite flexible and can pulled down enough to be able to reach up inside the bumper. Looking from underneath, you can see the bottom of the washer bottle in the corner of the bumper.
It is a tight squeeze, but sliding your hand between the side of the bottle and the bumper (not the front) you will feel the pump motor. It is removed by pulling it outwards (this bit is a bit awkward due to the tight space, but reasonably easy to do). At this point be prepared to get drenched if there is any water left in the bottle.
Once removed, there is enough play in the water pipes & electrical connection to manoeuvre the pump to the rear of the bottle making it much easier to swap over.
:oops:
You will notice that the two water pipes (front & rear wash) are identical. It is therefore best to swap these over to the new pump one at a time to avoid getting the front and rear washers mixed up.
Applying a thin smear of washing up liquid to both the inlet pipes and the nozzle that pushes into the washer bottle will make life much easier when refitting the new pump.
Before refitting, it is a good idea to briefly flick the windscreen washers and listen for the motor spinning just to make sure the electrical connector is fitted OK.
Manoeuvre the pump back into the washer bottle, refit the plastic guard under the car, refill the bottle and that's it all done!
Hope this is of some help to someone. As stated, it is a tight squeeze to reach the pump but easily do-able. It's certainly a hell of a lot easier and quicker than dismantling half the front of the car to remove the bumper and far less daunting.
Hi I took your advise and wanted to let you know that I managed to replace the pump as you stated
:d It wasn't easy and my hands bare the scars :crazy:
but it was worth it..... Thank you for sharing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just done mine on a 02 laguna - - part was £8 off e**y -- ramp the car, syphon water --remove the plastic cover under bottle from underneath car --remove the two 10mm bolts that are together at top of bottle this gives you a bit more movement in bottle -- push motor out of rubber grommit at back of bottle and wriggle the motor out through bottom of car, its a bit of a squeeze but it does come out --then you will have just enough length and room to remove pipes and and electrical plug -- replace with new motor making sure the pipes are replaced on the correct spigots-- [one pipe was slightly bigger on mine]--smear a little washing up liquid on large spigot that goes into bottle to ease fitting --i would test motor works at this point before fitting -- push motor into grommit - refill bottle with a bit of water and test again --refit bolts and panel --top-up water --- tend to cuts and grazes on hands
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Just done this on my 2002 V6.

After removing the plastic cover (A) I could see the water bottle but the pump was pressed up against the inside of the bumper (B) - no chance of getting to it with my hand. Maybe the bottle is different on this model? So I then had to remove the fixings from the front half of the wheel arch cover and the two bolts holding on the corner of the bumper (C). I could then pull the bumper out enough to get my hand on the pump. I couldn't pull the two pipes off so I just snapped the valve assembly off with the two pipes attached (D) and then put them in boiling hot water in a cup to soften them. I then pulled the old pump out and attached the pipes to the new pump and fitted it back to the bottle. I then just re-fitted the liner and bumper etc. Re-filled the bottle and everything now works great. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi .. I had the same problem .. no water to windscreen .. so before I took everything apart I stuck my jet washer down the pipe and gave it a good blast .. it must have dislodged the slime etc and now works perfectly!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi .. I had the same problem .. no water to windscreen .. so before I took everything apart I stuck my jet washer down the pipe and gave it a good blast .. it must have dislodged the slime etc and now works perfectly!
So where has the dislodged slime gone - if back into the reservoir theres nothin stopping it blocking the pump again.

I would recommend you do not use high pressure in the screen washer system - the last thing you need is a ruptured pie feeding the rear washer.

To prevent the build up of slime it pays to rinse the washer system out using baby bottle sterilsing solution. Thirty tabs from Boots for 99 pence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts