Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an 02 Laguna 1.9DCI, having updated from a Citroen Xantia 2.1 Turbo D. What a Let down,
I have owned the car for four weeks and recently as I was trying to get out of a side street, I floored it, too get out, as the clutch engaged it popped! Now no clutch, just a clicking sound? I have been told that the clutch has to be replaced including the Flywheel? The car has only covered 52K and I cannot believe that it requires a complete replacement. I have been told that it will cost £400- £500 for the clutch alone?
Surely it just requires a clutch kit or a thruster plate.
I would be grateful for any information regarding this problem, also why is this car so gutless, it runs out of revs in second gear and as I live in a rural situation, overtaking has taken on a new meaning.

Thank You.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
If you are quoting Renault pricer £400-500 in all honesty sounds not bad. The clutch is a relatively cheap part it's the amount of labour time involved that is bumps the price up.
I would phone around local garages if you could find a clutch and gearbox speciallist even better.

My quote from Renault to have my clutch changed in my simple little Clio was over £550 and I eventually got it done for just over £300. This was only on 33k!

To investigate what has happened the gearbox will need to come off so they will be aswell fitting a new clutch anyway. As for the flywheel i'm no expert but these can sometimes need replaced sometimes they can be re-furbished. If you have to change it get a price for it(it may be surprisingly cheap) and if it is very expensive try a breakers.

I'm assuming a garage has already looked at it otherwise I would suggest checking the clutch cable. Diesels have so much torque and the weakpoint in Renaults tends to be gearbox/clutch assemblys . Although if it's any consolation if there has been a problem with the clutch that might explain why it has not felt as quick as it should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Highlander,

We just had a similar problem with our company Laguna 1.9 petrol estate (2002 but 120k miles). The chap who drives it said that the clutch was slipping in 5th gear. We were quoted from £450 to over £600 for a replacement clutch. The car came back with a new clutch but with 5th gear not working at all (makes a sort of "gears slipping" noise). Gears 1 to 4 seem fine.

The garage claims that the gearbox has failed and that they were only asked to change the clutch! They also say that these renault gearboxes are known to be weak. We're arguing with them at the moment ...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
HI i got a laguna II 03 PLATE INITIALE HAD PROBS WITH CLUTCH TOO .PEDAL JUST WENT TO FLOOR AND NOTHING HAPPENED.TOOK IT BACK TO DEALER UNDER WARRANNTY THEY REPLACED CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER.4 MTHS LATER IT HAPPENED AGAIN SO BACK IT WENT AND ANOTHER CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER FITTED ALL WAS FINE THEN I GOT A RECALL AND THEY HAD IT IN AND FITTED ANOTHER CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER UPRATED THIS TIME THEY SAY THROUGH FAULTY PARTS.HOW LONG IT WILL LAST ?????????NO ONE KNOWS????????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts