Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had my laguna sat idle for 6 months and want to get it running again. The battery was dead so attached a charger, even with this attached it still wont start. The dash lights up and when i hit the start button there are a few clicks in the dash and then nothing. It sounds as though there is a hissing for about 3 seconds after hitting start, possibly from the battery?

Is the battery completely dead, should I replace it or is there anything else I could try?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

G

·
I would think the battery will need an extended charge at the very least....if that still doesn't work, you could take it to a battery dealer for a dump test bofore you replace it.

This way you will be sure if the battery is dud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive got breakdown cover that started about a week ago as I was planning on getting back on the road. Would they come out and have a look at this even though its not been on the road?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Hi,
I've had my laguna sat idle for 6 months and want to get it running again. The battery was dead so attached a charger, even with this attached it still wont start. The dash lights up and when i hit the start button there are a few clicks in the dash and then nothing. It sounds as though there is a hissing for about 3 seconds after hitting start, possibly from the battery?

Is the battery completely dead, should I replace it or is there anything else I could try?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sounds very like the battery (or at least some of the cells) are duff.

Being push button start the UCH checks the battery voltage when you push the start button.
With the charger attached the UCH determines that the battery is good enough to start the engine. The start relay is engaged (hence the click). The 150 amps or so that the starter then draws from the battery causes the voltage to drop below the UCH 'start allowed' threshold and starting is cancelled. This is why you hear a click or two from the dash.

Even jump leads may not manage to supply enough current with a low enough voltage drop to allow the start sequence to complete.

Lead acid batteries should not be stored for long periods in a dischaged state.

Ian

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
My battery was totally dead and I couldn't even jump start the car off another one and that was after the battery had been on charge for over 12hrs.... yep the battery was totally dead :p.... but once I fitted a new battery it started first time. I suggest you go get yourself a new battery! :d:d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.