Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers door will only close after many attempts at banging it shut, from inside or outside. The door keep is solid and immovable, the catch mechanism is free and will easily latch on to a screwdriver and open again with the handle. I live next door to a repair garage (who know my car well!) and they took a look at it today, but said they got the same results as me and are mystified. The mechanism isn't worn, the spring is strong, the door is in the correct alignment, it latches on to a bar easily, BUT it just won't latch when closed. They doubted that a new lock mechanism would act any differently. (He did suggest welding it shut but I declined} I found a thread from 2013 where someone had the same symptoms but there was no reply. Please, can anyone make any suggestions or know what the problem is??

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,735 Posts
Try this open the window and see if it closes easily ,if yes then move the plate that is on the door pillar forward slightly,,scribe around the back of the catch on the pillar,this will give you the original point if it goes wrong,

·
37,735 Posts
Just been and looked, not on the door itself but the door pillar ,two torx screws ,when slightly loosened the plate will go up or down in or out, it wont be much needed,SSSSSSSSShould have asked this question first really,DOES the second part of the catch work ,if you dont shut the door properly,it does stay shut,to test ,get in the car pull the door so it goes on the first click,try and push the door open from inside without touching the handle,if you can open the door like this then dont bother adjusting as your door locking mechanism is FUBAR,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I pull the door firmly from inside, or push from outside, the mechanism doesn't engage at all. I've tried doing the bum push, right up to swinging it from fully open.... just bounces open. Will try the door plate in the morning.

·
37,735 Posts
Would say thats your locking mechanism ,as it should hold on first close and second close,if it doesnt hold on first close,its had it ,,,,, .The part that the striker plate(the door pillar part)hits as it closes it turns anticlockwise and a lever (for want of a better word)situated in the door locking mechanism moves up,this holds the door catch in position,,you could try oiling it,but normally the spring that lifts this part up has weakened and the most sensible cure is a new/second hand locking mechanism,the reason I say sensible if it does open as you are driving it could cause an accident or rip the door pillar strap off the door pillar,the part that stops the door opening to much,then the door can hit the wing and put a nice crease down the door skin,if this happens then its taking the connection block off the door to pillar ,a piece of metal with a nut welded to the metal ,fed up the inside (its only a small hole to feed the plate through)to reattach the strap then welded back in place,, OUCH

:eek::eek::(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have just tried door striker plate and there is no adjustment possible. lock mechanism works perfectly using a screwdriver, but will still only shut one in 10 times of trying. Just ordered a replacement mechanism off you know where as it is the only thing that can be at fault. Have fingers and toes crossed! :crazy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts