Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what it means when the light on the keycard entry slot and the alarm light flash constantly when the keycard is inserted, the card will not start the car... its as if the keycard is only pushed in part of the way

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Shanu - the car is programmed to suit the keycard - the keycards are not programmable in themselves - maybe the keycard is OK but the card reader is faulty.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Shanu - the ECU reads the code sent from the card reader - have a close look inside the card reader and if there is any dirt or dust try and clean it - the card reader is quite easy to remove - just unclip and disconnect the multi-plug connection - make sure the card is not in place at the time. Has the keycard been damaged in any way.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, ive just replaced the fuse box and attached "black Box" due to the the last one being water damaged... it must be something to do with that.... is the black box a ECU??

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Shanu - according to the Haynes manual what you have changed is the multi-timer unit and if removed or changed will need to be reprogrammed by Renault as it affects the immobiliser and the engine configuration, etc.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the black box the multi timer unit??, it clicks on top of the fuse unit and has 2 connectors into it???..... I know that this is the problem as I put my old unit back and the central locking works again and the key card reader and imobiliser light dont flash anymore ( the car still wont start though ), The unit I just got from scrapyard out of a mint conditioned car just does nothing ( no central locking ect ) apart from the flashing sequence that I previously mentioned... I'm guessing then that this unit is rejecting my keycard then:steam:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
As I said earlier this unit controls the engine configuration and has to be programmed to suit the vehicle and key cards,etc. Did you disconnect the battery before removing or connecting it as many controllers don't like power spikes. Once it loses its memory settings it needs to be reprogrammed. As a matter of interest how did it get wet in the first place.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to phone renault tommorrow then I guess, It got wet due to a blocked drainage pipe in the sunroof ( I think/hope )I had water running down the pillar and had a little puddle in my footwell, once the car died and I started investigating I noticed the fusebox was wet and the rest is history as they say, I called Renault dealer on friday and he informed me that the fusebox was£90 +vat and the black box thingy was £189 +vat... never mentioned having to programme it though... no doubt that will be a small fortune... so I thought id try my luck at scrapyard and hey presto, got both parts for £30

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Shanus - double check the drain pipes from the sunroof are OK - there have been stories of the drainpipe coming adrift - you wouldn't want the same to happen all over again. Just one thought though - reinstall the original black box - try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so - then connect up again - you never know. It's a long shot but it's worth a try. Keep us posted on your progress or lack thereof and good luck.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that, however the battery has been disconnected the best part of two days and I tried with the original board as well as with the newer one but nothing, on inspecting the older PCB inside the black casing there is quite a bit of water marks on a few of the IC's and one looks as if its popped ( black marks on PCB near joints ).... as I said before the original board still allows certain operations ( Like inserting your card in to the first click ) but nothing else... the main electrics dont kick in and the new board does nothing at all including no central locking... but that will be the reprogramming that your on about I guess

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like the circuit board has been fried then - stick the newer one in and get it programmed - The "black box" controls up to 30 operations on the car. Don't forget to keep us updated as I'm sure others will have similar problems especially after the floods wev'e had recently.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, hopefully this blackbox reprogramme will solve everything and work out £300 cheaper that renault installing new one, I've got a bad feeling that they are going to say they are not interchangable or re-programmable and try and charge me for a new one (£190 +vat ).

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Hi Shanus - double check the drain pipes from the sunroof are OK - there have been stories of the drainpipe coming adrift -

Hi Noel, any clues on how to rectify drainpipes that have come adrift. Have checked the knowledge base but cant see anything specific. Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Nobby - the drain pipes are attached to the sunroof frame and are routed down the "A" pillars and into the front wheel arches behind the plastic inner wheel arch shrouds. Water should appear to drip out when tested (I use an old dishwater bottle with a small pipe attached). Firstly you can feed a pice of thin flexible wire down to ensure there is no blockage or kinks - after that it is a question of dropping the headcloth at the front screen and front doors to gain access:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i drive a 2002 laguna and today when i came back to it after work the fob wouldn't open the car.I've tried the spare also and no luck. The light is workingon both fobs so the batteries are ok. What else do you think could be wrong? any help would be appreciated before i have to face the renault dealer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts