Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,Purchased some L.E.D side light bulbs,just fitted them and they look really good.One problem,the dash and voice tell me that there is a fault with the side lights and the amber SERVICE light is on.........
I assume that the computer is looking for a certain resistance and the LED'S bulbs are out of that scale.
Is there anyway around this problem as I would really like to keep the new bulbs in.??????

Thanks in Advance.
Steve:) :) :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Using a multi-meter check the resistance of both types of bulbs and does the service light go out when the correct bulbs are put back - if it is a resistance problem it could be down to poor quality bulbs as I know some bulbs have a built in resistor to compensate. This not only applies to car electrics but also mains systems whereby the trip on the distribution board goes belly up.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks for the VERY quick reply.
When the normal bulbs are in all is ok...
I will check the resistances for the two type bulbs and see how they compair ??
I did buy from eBay,(I know)but I purchased the most expencive ones on there and the seller had loads of positive feedback...
:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems the LED's pull less than 1watt,so the computer thinks there not working...........

A idea I would like to though into the forum......
If I was to buy 2 x w5w bulb holders and fit them in-line with the live feed to the original bulb holders and fit the new bulb holders with the original bulbs,this should fool the computer in to thinking that there ok(they are in a round about way).And I also gain some under bonnet lighting into the deal(Not that I should ever need to go under the bonnet in the dark,Lagunas they never break down do they?lol)...

What do you think................:crazy:

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Seems the LED's pull less than 1watt,so the computer thinks there not working...........

A idea I would like to though into the forum......
If I was to buy 2 x w5w bulb holders and fit them in-line with the live feed to the original bulb holders and fit the new bulb holders with the original bulbs,this should fool the computer in to thinking that there ok(they are in a round about way).And I also gain some under bonnet lighting into the deal(Not that I should ever need to go under the bonnet in the dark,Lagunas they never break down do they?lol)...

What do you think................:crazy:
Just fit the original bulb in a new holder in parallel with new LED lamp. This will give a total load of 6W, near enough for the on board computer. Hide the additional lamp in the door cavity. Alternatively of you can get one a 30 ohm (ish) 5 W resistor fitted in parallel with the LED lamp will do the same job but will not light up or go out.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi SS - I assume you are only fitting the LED's to the front lights - if you add two 5W bulbs to the circuit that means the system would be drawing 12 Watts - maybe the ECU will then think there is a short in the system. The main purpose of LED's is to reduce power consumption - your idea sort of defeats their purpose.:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi and thx for the input.
I wasnt trying to reduce the power consumption at all.
The L.E.D'S are a bit more pleasing to the eye.

The combined pull of both front led's is less tha a watt so the computer assumes there u/s....

Ive got 3 options I think:
1 Pop a w5w bulb holder in-line both sides and fit with the orginal bulbs..

2. A couple of load resistors.

3. Re-fit the original bulbs....

Fancy the resistors myself...
;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Resistors would be the easiest and best way to approach it but remember to put them in wiseley as you may have to change the bulbs back some stage in the cars life.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi and thx for the input.
I wasnt trying to reduce the power consumption at all.
The L.E.D'S are a bit more pleasing to the eye.

The combined pull of both front led's is less tha a watt so the computer assumes there u/s....

Ive got 3 options I think:
1 Pop a w5w bulb holder in-line both sides and fit with the orginal bulbs..

2. A couple of load resistors.

3. Re-fit the original bulbs....

Fancy the resistors myself...
;) ;) ;)
4 off 120 ohm 2W resistors in parrallel will do the job. Available from your local Maplins or Maplins.co.uk part no D120R 2W Res 120R 18p each.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the text from the advert...

When fitting our LED indicator bulbs if you find the Indicators Flash rapidly then you need to use a Load Resistor Kit.

Resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb ( This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as hyper flashing, no flashing or burnt out bulb indications.

One resistor is required for each turn signal bulb. Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps & 5 inch off wire on each side

CONNECTION INSTRUCTIONS:

Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the turn/brake wire. You do not have to cut your wires. Squeeze splice taps with pliers.

One Load Resistor required for each turn signal bulb.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
This is the text from the advert...

When fitting our LED indicator bulbs if you find the Indicators Flash rapidly then you need to use a Load Resistor Kit.

Resistors can be connected across the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a regular filament bulb ( This will solve LED related turn signal problems such as hyper flashing, no flashing or burnt out bulb indications.

One resistor is required for each turn signal bulb. Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps & 5 inch off wire on each side

CONNECTION INSTRUCTIONS:

Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the turn/brake wire. You do not have to cut your wires. Squeeze splice taps with pliers.

One Load Resistor required for each turn signal bulb.
Can you send me the URL of their website and I'll check it for you.

Len

1 - 18 of 18 Posts