Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Yesterday noticed that my sunroof had started leaking once more and water dripping from N/S interior light, car parked on a hill facing down.
Went out to do some shopping and thought I would park it facing up the hill to try and stop the leak, Half an hour later I hear someone blowing a horn for about 10/15 seconds, I pop out to look but can't see anything and the horn had stopped before I got out of the house, return to the house and it starts again, this time it doesn't stop, I go out for another look and it is my car :mad:, I think WTF is wrong now and then I remember the sunroof leaking, I think the water is getting in to something like the ECU and shorting it so I start the car up, drive up the road to turn and then park back outside the house, all the time with the horn still sounding, I get a screwdriver from the garage, pop the fusebox cover open, look for the horn fuse and pull it, Nothing still sounding :steam:
Pop the bonnet to find the horn but can't see it, quick look in the workshop manual to find they are up behind the bumper on the N/S and a splash panel needs removing.
Only thing for it in the meantime is to disconnect the battery :eek:
Five minutes later under the car in the rain I still can't find the horns, Reconnect the battery and it has stopped, start the car to see if all is still ok and then it starts blowing again, Disconnect the battery again and reconnect ten minutes later and all is quiet and has been ever since, I have not been out in it since so I don't know what I may have lost but what I would like to know is where the ECU is situated and can water get into it and is this the cause of my problem or could water be getting in elsewhere.
Also what needs to be reprogrammed and how, I know the radio has to be done and I did notice that the tyre pressures are not showing on start up now, will these show aafter a drive etc :confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just been out for a little drive, Tyre pressures now showing, still showing miles and not kilometers, windows set.
Passenger footwell really wet (will have to have another look at sunroof when some more dry weather comes along).
Any answers for the rest would be good though or anything else I should know.
Thanks in advance.

Richard

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
The sunroof leak may be from blocked drain pipes or the inner seal may need replacing. I would think the water is causing the alarm issues but doubt it's affecting the ECU. It may be running down a pillar and shorting a sensor for the alarm. While the car is damp you need to find the path the water has taken.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris but it is not the alarm but the horn, The drain tubes are clear and I have also removed the ends from the lower of these two months ago as they were blocked, this did solve the problem with the leak at the time, It is running down the A pillar and into the footwell but I am not sure if this is because the drain can't take the ammount of rain water and is flowing over the top or if the tube is loose on the rear fixing :(
That I can handle for now but I don't want a fried ECU between now and time of fix, Do you know where the ECU is situated, I thought it was on the O/S under the dash but must admit that is only what I have read and not had a look as yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris but it is not the alarm but the horn, The drain tubes are clear and I have also removed the ends from the lower of these two months ago as they were blocked, this did solve the problem with the leak at the time, It is running down the A pillar and into the footwell but I am not sure if this is because the drain can't take the ammount of rain water and is flowing over the top or if the tube is loose on the rear fixing :(
That I can handle for now but I don't want a fried ECU between now and time of fix, Do you know where the ECU is situated, I thought it was on the O/S under the dash but must admit that is only what I have read and not had a look as yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The alarm on mine is a separate unit fitted by Renault in the rear of the car :confused:
BTW the water is p!$$ing in like a waterfall now:mad: so I hope we have some more good weather soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cheers Blaster, For some reason I thought it was behind the dash, I hope it is something else that can be found and repaired, I will never buy another Renault :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts