Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been offered a set of lowering springs from a laguna 2 saloon. I have a laguna 2 tourer, aside from the weight difference. Will the rears fit? Or are the saloon and tourers a different fitment. Mike

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
They will physically fit,the hatch and estate use identical rear suspension layouts.You may find that they lower the rear even more on an estate though due to the extra weight (as you probably already know:)).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear. They are -25mm. So if the back comes down -10mm more then I can cut a coil off the front to level it out

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you wait long enough the front will lower it's self when the springs break.:d

I'd never advise cutting a spring,it really isn't the way to lower a car,but at the end of the day I guess it's up to you and I'm not here to preach to people (although others probably will say more.....:rolleyes:).The springs aren't a uniform diameter all the way down so be careful where/which end you cut them.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If you cut the springs there is a high risk they will become dislodged from their retaining seats. Should this occur apart from the risk of losing control of the car resulting in an accident there is the added risk of damaging a tyre or driveshaft, etc.

For the above reasons it is never advisable to cut suspension springs no matter what the make the car may be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys for the feedback. Hopefully they will go on and the car will sit level. I've cut coils in the past no issues if need be.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
After cutting the coil springs do you fit shockers with a shorter travel and do you forge the cut end of the spring so it sits correctly it is retaining cup?

The front springs on the Lag II are reduced in diameter at both ends to fit both the top and bottom retaining cups so if either end is cut it cannot sit in its seats.

See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See ones I have cut in the past have been for old vw's and bmws. The coils on these were the same unlike what you have described.
Thanks for the picture I now know I can't cut it so I'm going to hope that they fit fine and the car sits ok. Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have looked into this for my Laguna 2 dci, the rear on the tourer are much shorter, and have wrong spring rate. About 60mm lower, I believe, I got correct springs from Spring Loaded in Exeter at about £30 each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts