Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i have a laguna 2 1.8 petrol 16v dynamique sport tourer, ive searched the forums but cant quite find a solution.

My speedo stopped working about 3 weeks ago before which i had to hve the fly by wire system changed and ive replaced the crankshaft sensor, which has rectified the faults i was having.

It started by intermitently working now nothing i dont have an abs light on and ive looked at the back of the engine around the heat shields for the speed sensor as i think this is the problem.

would really appreciate any help especially pics, thanks in advance.:(

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
the speed signal comes from abs unit, does the stereo get louder the faster you drive if it does you know you are getting a speed output from the abs unit. Also if the doors auto lock if set lock when driving off you know you have a speed output from abs. Sometimes the speed wire to the stereo gets caught when replacing head unit and the can cut out speedo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there rentech, nah no problems with the stereo also havent touched the stereo for 12 months or so, locks appear normal too,

We had the fly by wire changed 6 weeks ago as we had problems starting, engine cutting out and so on diagnostics said it was this so got it changed, then car seemed fine for a couple of weeks.

Then broke down again car wouldnt start then did, diagnostic said crankshaft sensor which i changed (this was the modified blue type same as was on the car)

Then fortnight later speedo didnt work for a few hours then came back on for a day then started reading a lower speed than we were doing, then stops all together, havent got any warning lights lighting up and fuel and rev counter seem fine.

Only thing that doesnt work is the speedo and also the mpg and fuel used on the computer display on the speedo the total milage, service due and average speed although never accurate all work.

any ideas, thanks for taking the time to reply, cheers :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
The speedo get its signal from the front left ABS sensor. If faulty both the speedo will be misread or stop working and you'll also get an ABS fault.
Definitely worth checking it out in my opinion.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there madnoel10, im not getting any issues as yet with my abs and no lights are illuminating, only mensioned about abs because the other threads to do with the speed sensor say about abs, im also only guessing about the speed sensor as thats what seemed to come alot while seaching speedo faults on google and this forum, do you think it could be the speed sensor or abs sensor and if so do you know where they are,

thanks for replying :eek:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Please read my post again, if the stereo volume increases the faster you drive there will be no fault with the abs or the speed output from the abs computer, if the engine management computer does not see a speed pulse it will bring on the engine warning light, does the millage increase if it does it will be a speedo head that has gone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry rentech, my mistake, the mileage does increase, i just thought speed sensor because i saw on here some people said it was rare for the head unit to go , do you know if there expensive.

Do you also know why the:

total mileage
service due
trip mileage
and average speed

work on the speedo display but the mpg and the fuel used on the same display doesnt,

thanks again :eek:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Hold down the button on the wiper stalk or the one in the panel, and put in card the instrument panel should go into self test all the dials should move up and down. MPG and fuel used relies on info from the fuel tank sender unit and injection computer data. Sounds like the panel.
BBM re manufacture can repair these

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
sound ok, the mileage may be wrong and the chassis number is stored in the panel, but it will work so long as yours is a manual and the panel is off a manual car, or auto off a auto if you see what i mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.