Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just owndered if anyone can help.
I have a 2004 Laguna 2 and just recently i have noticed when i insert my keycard and push the engine start button, it will not start, unless i keep my finger on it till it starts. In other words, it use to start by just breifly pushing the button and letting go, but for some reason it seems to have gone into Manual mode.

ANy ideas on how to get it to work with the one touch??
I was thinking of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after an hour to see if that resets it, but advice please would be most gratefull!

Thanks in advnace!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had same prob. hold in start button, insert key card and hold a few secs. remove card an hey presto
hope that works
Spot on, it worked! Thanks ever so much for your help, when i phoned renault garage they said it might need a new switch lol, they dont seem to have a clue!

So i take it this toggles the auto/Manual starting?

Im really pleased its now sorted thanks to your help, much much appreciate!:d

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I had the same problem in Laguna II 51reg. I had to change the card reader (it wasn't hands free card).

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had same prob. hold in start button, insert key card and hold a few secs. remove card an hey presto
hope that works

Can anyone help, i've done this, it works for the purpose of testing, tried 3/4 times, then when I got in car last night for work i had to hold the start button again, any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dinn

Sorry to bother you but I'm new to the Forum and finding it hard to find my specific problem.
Have a Laguna II (55 - 1.9Dci) and recently have been prompted to "Press Clutch and Start" followed by "Press Brake" before the Start Button Will work.
Have checked fluid level which is OK.
As a side I had "Check Handbrake" warning flash up once but not since.
Would be grateful for your expertise.......if not could you direct me to the correct thread.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dinn

Sorry to bother you but I'm new to the Forum and finding it hard to find my specific problem.
Have a Laguna II (55 - 1.9Dci) and recently have been prompted to "Press Clutch and Start" followed by "Press Brake" before the Start Button Will work.
Have checked fluid level which is OK.
As a side I had "Check Handbrake" warning flash up once but not since.
Would be grateful for your expertise.......if not could you direct me to the correct thread.
Many thanks.

Not always the simple things in life but make sure it's not in gear and the handbrake is on? Could be nothing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.
I've had exactly the same problem but this solution didn't work for me. Any other ideas? Does it matter or should I just get used to the different starting method?
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi.
I've had exactly the same problem but this solution didn't work for me. Any other ideas? Does it matter or should I just get used to the different starting method?
Cheers
Steve

Do your interior lights stay on when you first start driving? Mine used to for 5 mins or so, did the repair in key card reader and hey presto it fixed both problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Afraid I can't afford to get the card key reader repaired at the moment. I'll just get used to the different starting procedure. Am I right in guessing that it's it's not going to cause any other problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Correct proceedure for Starting is-Gearlever must be in Neutral Depress either Clutch or Brake Pedal,Press Button and release.So it would appear to be working as it should do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The question was that originally you just pushed the start button and released it, the car would start. After I collected the car from a body repair workshop, you have to hold in the button until the car started. The workshop says that’s how it should be. I know that after using it for several years that it was different

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,310 Posts
You're right, it's press and release in neutral. If you have to depress clutch or brake then the switches are faulty. I believe there's a relay which keeps the starter on until the engine catches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're right, it's press and release in neutral. If you have to depress clutch or brake then the switches are faulty. I believe there's a relay which keeps the starter on until the engine catches.
Spacecadet.
When you say the switches are faulty, do you refer to the ones mounted on the pedal mechanism itself ie those at the top under the dash ?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,310 Posts
Sorry, I'm not familiar with their location. I was referring to the fact that there's a switch to inhibit starting in gear unless the clutch is depressed. The Haynes manual will say where they are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spacecadet.
When you say the switches are faulty, do you refer to the ones mounted on the pedal mechanism itself ie those at the top under the dash ?
Open the bonnet and look down at the gearbox, the 'neutral switch' is on the "front" the gearbox and has a black plug.. the reversing light switch is under the battery tray on the top of the gearbox and has a green plug/ socket.. they look very similar so don't confuse them.. this is on a 2003 1.9dci, others may be different.. hope that helps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts