Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Sorry if this is not posted in the proper section but was looking for maximum attention for my problem.

I have a 2002 Laguna 1800. After using the car yesterday with no problems, i went out this morning to find the car will not do anything. When the card is in the slot, the card reader is flashing and the dash displays the message "insert card". The card is pushed in fully but i cant hear the clicking noise it usually makes when the card locks in place. I have tried getting out, locking, unlocking ang getting back in and trying again but it does the same each time. I also have a spare key card but this does exactly the same. Would i be right in thinking it is unlikely to be the cards that are at fault ? The last time it did this was a few weeks ago, and a jump start cured it, but not today.

Another question is there a way to override the steering lock as the car is stuck on the end of my drive blocking in my other cars so i can't even get them out to use.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Had this before, usually turns out to be a relay situated behind the fuse box on the drivers side. Only way to get to it is by hand in the drives footwell area.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ to change.
Does your radio display light up? as that is the tale tale sign of the relay failing.
IIRC Renault did a recall for this very problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
I had to go out and have a look and yes the radio display all lights up and stereo works etc. Everthing else seems ok aswell,lights,windows door locking etc.
Just noticed that when the car is locked the red immobilisor light flashes slowly, then with the card is inserted it flashes much faster than before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get this sorted out in the end???

My brother has exactly the same problem at the moment and his car is stuck in the road outside my house. We need to move it asap but the steering lock is jammed on!!!!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Did you get this sorted out in the end???

My brother has exactly the same problem at the moment and his car is stuck in the road outside my house. We need to move it asap but the steering lock is jammed on!!!!
Sounds like the card reader. Try disconnecting the neg battery terminal for a few minutes and try it again. If this fails try cleaning out the card slot as the microswitch in there can get dirty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Done all this but to no avail. Its now in my local Renault dealership where they think it is the steering lock that is at fault and want £160 for a new one plus labour, totaling a nice £430 all in. Lets see if they get it fixed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, it wasn't the card reader or the steering lock, it was simply the keycard was knackerd. Dealership ordered a new one from the factory in France which took 10 days to arrive and once programmed it worked fine. This was not before i had to go down to the dealership and have it out with the workshop manager and then the dealership manager after discovering that it was the dealership that snapped the steering lock so they could move the car and were then trying to charge my brother for the parts and labour when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place!!!!!

The real solution to the problems were solved 3 weeks later when he sold the Laguna and bought a mk3 Golf GTI!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts