Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a 2002 Laguna 2.0l touring auto a couple of months ago and all has been ok until now. I drove into town, pulled up to wait for someone, switched the engine off and left the card in the reader. When I came to start it; nothing! I checked fuses, battery etc then called the AA.
The bloke from the AA checked fuses, tested and boosted the battery, still nothing so towed me home.
Having found this amazing resource I checked through and find quite a few similar problems but so far none of the checks have resolved anything.
Here are the symptoms; When inserting either key card the audio display lights up but nothing else, other than initially the dash display asks me to' insert card' which is already inserted. The red immobiliser light stays illuminated but absolutely nothing else. The AA bloke said it should have 2 stages to ignition but mine was not even doing the first. I understand a new card reader may solve the problem but then worryingly hear it may not. I cant afford to pay main dealer prices as I'm out of work so any ideas would be greatly received.
Also having read about the UCH problem I'm now worried it may be that, the reason being when I removed some of the lower dash panels there are signs of rust on the metal work around the area of the fuse box. I guess the last question would be can anyone recommend someone who would be able to diagnose the problem? I live in Huddersfield. Thank you for taking the time to read this and any potential advice would be greatly received.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
He's right, there are two stages to the ignition. The first is when the card is half way in to the reader - the radio will work, as well as sunroof etc, without all the warning lights coming on. The next is when the card is fully inserted and "clicks" into place. The steering unlocks and the warning lights come on - so perhaps it's the switch for the second stage of the ignition that's gone, in which case a new card reader would solve it.

If the key card was faulty, the light around the reader would flash rapidly when the card is inserted.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The keycard readers are prone to gathering dust and suffering micro-switch failures - you'll need to pull it out for a further looksee.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. I've pulled it out and opened it up but cant really tell anything from it. One other point that maybe worth mention is that the steering lock doesn't come on either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem . of course the car is now going nowhere.i can lock the doors etc but it wont start and obviously its not going anywhere . can anyone help

·
Registered
2 Posts
right ive taken the reader out and . well basically blown it through with compressed air . i unlock / lock it with the card ok , open the door and it asks me to insert card , so i do , evrything works apart from not being able to start it . my question is , is it the second stage of the card insertion which is not working , although when i push it all the way in there is a click from behind the dash , just what is entailed to fix it and more important can anyone give me an idea on just how much it is going to cost me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine still is not working even after trying a replacement card reader. I've heard that relay number 22 could need replacing? but how do I get to the relays? can anyone offer any more ideas or solutions?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Hi, it is controlled by the computer, if you plug in a scanner it will normally come up with internal electronic fault with steering lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi been reading your faults. i have the exact same faults as you, if you here of any ideas would you please pass they to me,as i will to you
thanks alan

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have a simular problem my immobiser is stuck on but when i lock the car it flashes locks car ok evrything else is working but when i try to start car the engine just spins and i have to press the button to stop engine spinning the immobiliser light dont go out its on solid anyone help me please thanks in advance steve {bossdogg}

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a simular problem my immobiser is stuck on but when i lock the car it flashes locks car ok evrything else is working but when i try to start car the engine just spins and i have to press the button to stop engine spinning the immobiliser light dont go out its on solid anyone help me please thanks in advance steve {bossdogg}
Guess what, mine is the same. Did you find a solution ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar problems with my 04 Laguna, symptoms were unlock car, insert card, no ignition lights coming on, message still shows 'Insert Card' immobiliser light on dash now flashing rapidly as are the lights on the card reader, turned out that these signs were indicating a key fault, had the car hooked up to diagnostic machine which showed no faults with the car electronics, just had a new key programmed by a local locksmith and hey presto success, £175 but renault can charge upwards of £200 plus towing charges, the locksmith comes to you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts