Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I am always dubious about claims made by bolt-on wonder chips. Further still I would be hesitant to make such changes on a car still under warranty. But hey that is only my opinion.
Many of these so-called wonder boxes only alter fueling and make no changes to the air intake so there is a risk of the fuel mix being out of balance. And your engine is already higher tuned than the average car they may in fact be detrimental to performance.
The best method of making gains is to have the ECU remapped but also remember this also may have an effect on any warranty. Also consider any mods may affect your insurance premiums.

The above comments are only my opinion and other members may have different views.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was going to add a Chip Express to my GT180 however it's still under warranty and such an increase to an already highly tuned engine would no doubt shorten it's life and put immense strain on the other components such as brakes, suspension, chassis, gearbox, tyres etc. If it were that simple to increase power and improve fuel economy at the same time don't you think Renault would have done it back at the factory? Chip Express and others will always make fantastic claims but they are simply trying to sell you bolt-on stuff. If your engine blows up or you have a collision forget about a warranty or insurance claim because you are not covered! Ps Do you want to buy my Chip Express because after having spoken to a Renaultsport engineer I wouldn't fit one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, a bit off the mark but im looking to buy a lag coupe and was just wondering if anybody can tell me why the odd one i've looked at does not have the twin chrome tail pipes?

Get the registration number of the coupe (and if you can the VIN too) and call Renault UK 08000 72 33 72 and ask them directly. They take a while to answer during peak times but they will know everything about the specific car you refer to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going to add a Chip Express to my GT180 however it's still under warranty and such an increase to an already highly tuned engine would no doubt shorten it's life and put immense strain on the other components such as brakes, suspension, chassis, gearbox, tyres etc. If it were that simple to increase power and improve fuel economy at the same time don't you think Renault would have done it back at the factory?

I rather disagree with this statement.....fair enough if your vehicle is still under warranty then you have a lot of thinking to do but the idea of an increase in power putting an 'immense' strain on the other components just isn't the case.
There is no way that Renault or any other manufacturer would bring a vehicle to market with a power output that is on the 'verge' of what the components can cope with.
I've had a lot of cars and safely say that the brakes on my 5dr GT are the best I've ever had and as for gearbox and tyres etc it all depends on how it's driven.
If you have a standard 180bhp you can still wear out the said components quicker by driving like an idiot than a conscientious driver that has his remapped so he can get a few extra MPG's.
I also disagree with the notion that if it were so easy to get improved performance and MPG by adding tuning box or having a remap then Renault would have done it at the factory. It's a well known fact that vehicle manufacturers set their engines up to run effectively throughout Europe. In some countries the fuel is not as refined as it is in, say, Germany or England. As the fuel in this country is of a decent quality (yes, even the supermarkets) there is no harm in having your engine remapped as the chances of getting crap fuel is limited.
My other thought is that, at the end of the day, most remapping companies are quoting an improved BHP of up to about 220bhp and 480nm of torque. That's hardly going to cause the world to revolve the other way!
I have had my GT remapped and it feels smoother, quieter, has better MPG and has improved mid range torque.

I will add a word of warning though..........

After it had been done the cruise control and speed limiter would not work. Somehow having the remap had caused the body ECU to reset. My thanks go to my local friendly Renault dealer for getting it sorted!

I hope everyone respects that this is purely my opinion. Everyone has different experiences to share which is EXACTLY what this forum is about.....wouldn't it be a boring place if we all agreed on things!!

:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Steve
I was going to fit the ChipExpress however it was a Renault Engineer that advised me not to. My brother and father both fitted one and love the difference but VW & Merc engines are known for their enhancement capacity. What method of upgrade did you chose? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went down the remap route as I am a firm believer that you got better results from something that has been programmed specifically for that vehicle.
Like you, I wouldn't touch a 'tuning box' with a bargepole!
I remember many years ago I borrowed a mates to put on a Vectra Diesel I had.....it went like stink BUT everytime I changed gear I could see clouds of black smoke from the exhaust.
I can't recommend a remap enough on the 180bhp engine, smoother, better on fuel, quieter (oddly?!) and just more driveable.
Steve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Steve. I didn't go down the ChipExpress route because my gutt instinct told me NO! Fortunately I only paid £100 for it on Ebay and sold it for £200 a month or so later (never fitted it thoiugh).
Who did you use for re-mapping? Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 09 plate Laguna Coupe Gt 180 and I fitted the BHP Plus (speedhawk) tuning box. The MPG improvement was fantastic and from getting a poor 39 mpg I get between 46 - 49mpg on mixed commute and 50 + fully loaded with a passenger on a long run at 80 mph. Performance is also greatly improved and I highly recommend the system from BHPPLUS.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I have a 09 plate Laguna Coupe Gt 180 and I fitted the BHP Plus (speedhawk) tuning box. The MPG improvement was fantastic and from getting a poor 39 mpg I get between 46 - 49mpg on mixed commute and 50 + fully loaded with a passenger on a long run at 80 mph. Performance is also greatly improved and I highly recommend the system from BHPPLUS.
That's a fantastic improvement in mpg.

Are those figures based on brim to brim calculations or from the onboard computer??

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a fantastic improvement in mpg.

Are those figures based on brim to brim calculations or from the onboard computer??
I did a brim to brim to start with to check the accuracy of the on board fuel computer and to be honest it is very accurate according to my calculations. Currently as its winter I am only averaging 44.5 mpg but it is only 800 miles off the next service and on 30+ K. I expect it to go back to usual figures after next service when the air cleaner is changed as well. I worked out that the BHP plus tuning box paid for itself in only one year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2009 GT 180 Laguna coupe and added a BHP Plus (speedhawk) tuning box. The result was fantastic. I get a fuel consumption of 48 mpg on a mixed commute to work. I get over 50 mpg on a long run. And I have just been to Germany and the car will do 140 mph :d
I cruised the autobahn between 100 mph to 120 mph and the MPG never dropped below 46 mpg :d
I have done brim to brim tests and believe the figures to be accurate. I have not had the car dyno tested but believe it is now over 200 bhp according to the tuning box manufacturer. So more power and better mpg as I was only getting 39 mpg on a commute before fitting the kit. Also the box transfers to other cars and BHP will email you a new map for the car you want to put it on. I have not found any disadvantage but did have to turn it down to a lower map (Choice of 9) when at higher altitude in Andorra.
I recommend doing this and I did tell my insurer and it was not expensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.