Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace 2 tyres on 2005 Laguna 1.9dCi & have previously replaced tyres with Roadstone 225/45 ZR17 91W. My current ones are Dunlop 225/45 R17 94V & have been advised by tyre dealer that the Roadstones are not suitable because they are not "extra load".

Does anyone know if this is really the case??

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi iam sure someone will answer you for sure there are alot of insurance company's out there that are not will to pay out if the correct tyres are not fitted to the manufactures guide so do make sure that thay are the correct spec i hope this helps

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Renault do specify that extra load or reinforced tyres should be used on the Laguna 2's with 17'' wheels.There is some confusion over why,but I suspect it is to protect the wheel rims.

I always recommend that extra loads should be used,but it is down to personal choice.........

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
In most cases the extra load tyres are only a couple of quid more expensive than normal ones anyway. There are exceptions, but on the whole the difference in price isn't worth worrying about.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
It is stipulated by Renault that "extra load tyres" are fitted, if they are not fitted it could affect any insurance claims as you would have been deemed to have altered the manufactures specifications.

It is unlikely that insurers would pick this up though.

I use these......

Tyre Details

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Wrong tyres

In my experience after an insurance claim the first thing an insurance assessor will check is the quality and condition of the tyres. Most of the ones I've seen recently carry a laptop computer and can check out a tyre database at the touch of a button and I know of one case were they wouldn't pay for the full amount of damage where the incorrect tyres were fitted. I can see where the tyre supplier is coming from - cos if he recommends and fits the wrong tyres the he/she could become liable.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts