Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Laguna 3 is using a huge amount of oil, about 1L every 400 miles. There are no oil leaks, no white/blue/abnormal smoke from the exhaust and I have not noticed any loss of power. Please can anybody guide what the issue could be? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Laguna 3 is using a huge amount of oil, about 1L every 400 miles. There are no oil leaks, no white/blue/abnormal smoke from the exhaust and I have not noticed any loss of power. Please can anybody guide what the issue could be? Thanks
Car is Laguna 3 Petrol 2.0L 16V, 2008

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi there.
Sent my reply the other day on the other thread, I had the same problem.

Same engine, about the same oil consumption.
After about 2 days I had to take the car out, something cracked in the engine, loss of power.
In the garage head was taken down and there was a dark spot on one of the cylinders. Intake valve was chipped from excess heat because engine was burning almost all of that oil close to it, increasing the temperature.
No other marks on cylinders, replaced the valve, closed the engine but the excess oil consumption remained.

In the meantime, I found used engine and installed it rather then repairing this one. Costs would be enormous to overhaul the entire engine vs used engine in good shape for only 400 Euro. Being large gasoline engine, there is no demand for them and prices are friendly.

I still have that engine in pieces, using parts from it. Damaged cylinder is really odd and this is the fist time I heard that somebody else has similar problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for this very helpful reply, much appreciated. My next question is, will the car experience a breakdown because of this or will I slowly notice loss of power? A mechanic seemed to suggest it won't break down and I could carry on topping up with oil.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That depends on the damage. My engine failed because oil is also fuel. And burning that much excess fuel close to the valve caused it to collapse.
If your engine is burning oil all around, on all cylinders, that can last for years, not fatal.

It's summer now so you can try this.
That is old school engine. It is recommended for 5W40 oil but hot as it is, you can use mineral oil for few days without fear.
Mineral oil is far better in disolving carbon residue then synthetic. If your oil piston rings are sticking because of that residue, mineral oil may free them and resume their function.
Some 15W40 would do the job, mornings are not sub zero and during daytime that oil has almost the same lubricating quality as 5W40.
Try it few days then you can switch back to 5W40 with new oil filter, no harm done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, really helpful. I see that I can buy Classic Motor Oil 20W50, so would this be worth a try? Otherwise, I was also recommended to use 'Stop Smoke Oil Treatment', so I may try that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oil treatment is just another additive. Waste of money. No additive can patch damaged surfaces.
Additives are already in oil and they wear out.

20W50 should do the job.
Not that cold during morning start and extra protection when engine is warm. Still, do not strain the engine until it warms up.
If that doesn't work, at least it didn't cost a lot.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,039 Posts
As you say extraordinary. Worse I have ever known was a Morris Minor at a fifth of that rate (a pint/1k).
You may be fine until MoT time, when you will fail on emissions. So finding the fault seems like a plan.
Edit: I see from your other thread that you are chucking the car. Also a plan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been offered £500 part exchange. I recently spent £1400 on a new clutch, £200 on electronic brake, £500 on 4 new tyres and this was whilst I had Gold RAC Warranty Cover which did not cover anything ('it's wear and tear'). So I think it's worth trying the 20W/50 and I will probably drive the car until it conks out. After that I suppose I will consider whether it's worth a replacement engine or scrap.

I do like this Laguna 3 but I will avoid buying renaults now after changing practically everything on my previous Laguna 2 (which is now a non-runner) and this Laguna 3.

Thanks for all your help everyone - much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts