Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 58 plate Laguna 3 2.0 DCi GT Hatch and am having some serious problems with the DPF.
It started in December when the really cold weather hit.
In the following 7 weeks the DPF had to have a forced regeneration on no less than 5 occasions and that was in spite of doing several 100 mile plus motorway jaunts just to try and get it to regen by itself.
The dealer and I eventually put it down to the very cold weather and that the DPF couldn't get hot enough to regenerate. Having been without the car for much of this period I took the matter up with Renault UK and, to their credit, the authorised it to be fitted with a brand new DPF to the tune of £1400 under warranty.
When I picked the car up it was fantastic! It felt like it had about an extra 50 BHP! To say the least I very a satisfied customer.
For the last 5 months the car has been faultless until this morning........
I noticed that it was flatspotting under acceleration and knew straight away that I needed to get in the motorway and give it a blast! Within minutes the all too familiar 'check injection system' warning came up on the dash (thankfully it didn't go into limp mode!!).
I have just done a 100 mile trip down the M1 and back ensuring I kept the revs high in 4th and 5th to get everything nice and hot and, guess what..., IT'S NOT SORTED IT!!!
Has anyone else had issues with this and managed to sort it once and for all? My worry is that the warranty runs out in September and I won't be able to afford a replacement DPF every 6 months!!
Please, if anyone can offer up some feedback I would be hugely grateful!

Many thanks,

One very frustrated Laguna owner!

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Has the DPF (FAP as Renault call it) warning light illuminated?

There are numerous other resaons for the check injection warning light to illuminate - a dirty or sticking EGR valve for instance.

The DPF system can be troublesome and one member has it removed at a cost of around £300 if I remember correctly once his car was out of warranty.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment we are just at the 'check injection system' stage. Historically it is normally a day or so until 'check anti pollution system' illuminates also.
It may just be coincidence and it may be something like the EGR valve but with the history I've had with this car I'm almost resigned to it being FAP linked.
With regards to the EGR valve, if it were dirty or needed replacing what characteristics would the car have whilst driving it?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
To be honest I have no direct experience with your type of engine but on the Lag II models a dirty or faulty EGR valve tended to cause a hesitation around the 1,000 to 2,000 rpm range when accelerating - almost as if you had a dead spot - if you get my drift.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 58 plate Laguna 3 2.0 DCi GT Hatch and am having some serious problems with the DPF.
It started in December when the really cold weather hit.
In the following 7 weeks the DPF had to have a forced regeneration on no less than 5 occasions and that was in spite of doing several 100 mile plus motorway jaunts just to try and get it to regen by itself.
The dealer and I eventually put it down to the very cold weather and that the DPF couldn't get hot enough to regenerate. Having been without the car for much of this period I took the matter up with Renault UK and, to their credit, the authorised it to be fitted with a brand new DPF to the tune of £1400 under warranty.
When I picked the car up it was fantastic! It felt like it had about an extra 50 BHP! To say the least I very a satisfied customer.
For the last 5 months the car has been faultless until this morning........
I noticed that it was flatspotting under acceleration and knew straight away that I needed to get in the motorway and give it a blast! Within minutes the all too familiar 'check injection system' warning came up on the dash (thankfully it didn't go into limp mode!!).
I have just done a 100 mile trip down the M1 and back ensuring I kept the revs high in 4th and 5th to get everything nice and hot and, guess what..., IT'S NOT SORTED IT!!!
Has anyone else had issues with this and managed to sort it once and for all? My worry is that the warranty runs out in September and I won't be able to afford a replacement DPF every 6 months!!
Please, if anyone can offer up some feedback I would be hugely grateful!

Many thanks,

One very frustrated Laguna owner!
Thank you for your Laguna 3 DPF troubles article. I also own a 2011 Laguna 3 2.0 dci with 133000 miles on the clock. The car showed the DPF failure while I was on the M25 driving at 70MPH. It was a warning blast with the words STOP. I pulled off and stopped the engine. I called the RAC who towed the car to the garage for repairs.

From then on it has been in and out of limp mode despite many attempts at regeneration. Finally, I removed the DPF and cleaned it myself. The car has shown great improvement. This method of cleaning is only for the brave and the desperate. That fits my situation considering that I do not have £1400 for a new DPF (actually they replace the whole exhaust).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.