Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,
Question:
I'm thinking about bidding on a used but fully working card key for my Laguna Initiale 51 plate on ebay.
Now I've been told by Eyden locksmiths of Coventry that you cannot re-programme a card key once it has been used or programmed for another vehicle. I do not think this to be true, otherwise why would so many used but fully working card key be sold on ebay?
I'm looking to purchase a used card key and then have it programmed for my car.Can I buy a used one and have it reprogrammed for my vehicle?
If so, where's the best place to go?

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
It's been re-iterated on may threads in this forum:
Once used, a keycard cannot be re-programmed. This is due to security measures Renault have taken.

Buying one on eBay does have some advantages, though:

• If the plastics on your existing keycard has cracked and is breaking apart elsewhere than the seams (e.g. at the button edges),
you can dissect it and a replacement card from eBay, and then transfer the circuit board from your existing keycard to the new housing,
before gluing it together.

• If you get mugged for your car keys, just hand them a dud keycard

• Vamoose burglars (people who break into houses for the sole purpose of stealing car keys) think they turn up trumps,
but in reality end up with a dud keycard (because you keep your working keycard under the pillow at night, dontcha?)

• If your kid is a petrolhead, she/he can have a keycard of her/his own to play with

The possibilities are endless… :)

·
Administrator
14,789 Posts
I'm afraid a card can only get reprogrammed etc by renault! Its pretty expensive :eek:. Cards are mainly sold on ebay to provide spare bits to people who want to fix their own key cards as stated by costeau!

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Keycards are for sale on a well known auction site purely because the seller is hoping someone gullible enough will pay them money for something which is useless.

Anyone wanna buy some magnet fuel savers.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
I'd say the only place would be an authorized Renault service centre.
They verify the paperwork that shows the car is yours, and order the key directly from Renault,
who codes it up, and cuts the metal for the emergency mechanical key.

It's all part of an even bigger rigmarole, to ensure that Renault has a tight control of the process, as they don't want any key cloning to take place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say the only place would be an authorized Renault service centre.
They verify the paperwork that shows the car is yours, and order the key directly from Renault,
who codes it up, and cuts the metal for the emergency mechanical key.

It's all part of an even bigger rigmarole, to ensure that Renault has a tight control of the process, as they don't want any key cloning to take place.
Spill the beans. How much are the going to fleece me.:eek:

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
I can't remember what the prices would be in the UK, off the top of my head, but by searching for "key card" here on the forums,
you should come across a few threads that quote a few different prices.

I was quoted 120 Euro for it, including the labour of pairing the remote control bit with the vehicle
and activating the key's unique identifier in the car's central computer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't remember what the prices would be in the UK, off the top of my head, but by searching for "key card" here on the forums,
you should come across a few threads that quote a few different prices.

I was quoted 120 Euro for it, including the labour of pairing the remote control bit with the vehicle
and activating the key's unique identifier in the car's central computer.
Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.