Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over this weekend I have noticed a possible problem with my aircon / climate control. After say 20mins driving as I go up through the gears I get a sort of bearing humming from the aircon at the top of the revs just before i change gear. If I switch the aircon off i dont get the noise. In top gear I get this at about 60 -70 but can drive through the noise and it goes away past 70 (not that I would ever go that fast :) It is there sometimes and sometimes not. I also note that the aircon seems to be drawing more power from the engine and coming to a junction etc the revs drop to say 400rpm (then climb up to 600 - 800 rpm) and often the car will stall. On looking under the bonnet I noticed a few drops of liqard on the engine bay tray and touching the aircon pipe it was wet but I think this was condensation. The air coming out the vents is cold. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the exact same problem, was concerned that the condenser was faulty, but instead opted to have the refridgerant re-charged as the a/c wasn't very cold either. Since gassing it hasn't made any strange noises, might be worth a try. My thoughts were that the low pressure was causing more strain on the condenser, thus causing noise.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like the compressor is trying to compress the gas but if the level is low it will have difficulty at times - maybe it's time for an air-con service:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Interestingly on reading through the forums I need to check with Renault to see if my car needed the recall on the 1.6 where the car would have poor tick over or stall when the air con is on. If so and it wasnt done perhaps that needs to be looked at. Whilst there I could get the air con charged although it runs very cold and see if that helps. Expect the main dealer charge a bomb to re charge the air con.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dixons huddersfield quoted me yesterday £128+vat for air con service and filter change, too much in my honest opinion for what it is, shop around for a cheaper offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts