Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick and tired (excuse the pun) of the tyres going down on laguna II. Thanks to the pot holes I have bounced through, the nice alloy rims are now dented. I'm so fed up with it I would even settle for steel wheels if the damn tyres would stay up. Has anyone any suggestions as to what replacement alloys or steels are available. My current size is 225, 45, 17. I also have the clever pressure monitoring valves which I would like to keep if possible.
Many thanks, Mick

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its only a suggestion, but have you considered getting the wheels completely refurbished (including the insides of the rims), as this will keep the car as standard, probably be your most cost-effective option, and will eradicate the slow punctures which occur due to corrosion where the bead of the tyres makes contact with the inside of the rim edge?

This also saves any compatibility conflict with the pressure sensors.

Just a thought (as most companies can deal with dented rims).

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Dirty dogs and Alloy Rims

I would agree with you VEL - it sounds more like a corrosion problem - apparently dog owners have more problems due to the dog urine being quite acidic. A few years ago I was able to cure the problem. Got the tyres removed sanded down the corroded area and painted the sealing area with hammerite paint - refitted the tyres - it lasted for 2 years until I got rid of the car.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations ?

It might be an idea. Any recommendations as to who might be able to do these repairs.
Thanks

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not being from that area, I couldn't suggest anyone - but have a trawl on the internet (Alloy Wheel Refurbishment) and get some quotes in. The tyres would need removal for the insides of the rim to be cleaned up & dressed prior to painting - you may have to be without the use of your car for a day or two depending on the turnaround period.

Ask around at work as well - personal recommendation is a powerful marketing tool.

All the best,

Paul:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts