Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Laguna with my sat nav plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. It is plugged in all the time, and the screen goes off when the ignition is switched off. Is it taking any power that could drain the battery if left for a long time?

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
As far as I was aware, the cigar lighter doesn't work when the keys are removed, but don't take my word for it as I always use my trusty clipper to light my killer sticks.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I'd have to agree - if the display goes 'off', then that would indicate nil power useage.

The only thing I'd be concerned with about leaving it plugged in all the time, would be from someone nicking it whilst parked - you could well come back to your car only to find a window smashed in, and the system away.

That in itself would deter me from leaving it plugged in.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi RFCG - the cigarette lighter (or 12 volt outlet as it is now called) only works when the ignition is either at the first and/or second position. Does your stanav kit have its own battery - if so it could be disharged via the cars electrics - ideally any additional electrics added to a car should have its own fused power line either direct from the fuse box or battery.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Ok thanks everyone, I've decided that i'll unplug it if leaving the car for a while, even though I'm pretty sure now that it does not take anything from the battery. Thanks again :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts