Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laguna 11 1.8 and the engine has started to rattle like a diesel when warm.I know that the dephaser pulley is at fault but my question is, is it still ok to drive and is it dangerous because i am going on holiday in it very soon so need to know. Thanks in advance.:eek:

D

·
0 Posts
This is one for recycled csenic to answer!

I'm led to believe that you could get another 5 miles or 50,000 miles out of it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
got the same issue on my Lag II 1.8 and along with advice from Recycled Scenic and looking on some other forums (eg. the Clio 172 forum) it seems if you can deal with the extra noise/rattle it shouldnt cause any problem. Plus had my mechanic look at it and he said it shouldn't case any long term damage, just to get it done when i can.

Of course my mechanical knowledge is limited (i can change a tyre :d) so im not offering any guarantees!

Admittedly im going to get some cash put aside to change it eventually (good old Renault charging big bucks for the part!) but not rushing out to do it!

R

·
0 Posts
This is one for recycled csenic to answer!
Where you having a dyslexic moment there Dan? :d

Assuming that the dephaser used on the 1.8 F4P is the same as that used on the 2.0 F4R? Which I would think they probably are ? As the F4P is just an under bored version of the F4R.

The noise sounds far worse than it is. It takes a very small amount of free play in the dephaser before the car starts sounding like a diesel! :eek:

The dephaser pulleys I have had apart showed very little signs of internal wear.

I have also read on another forum some one doing 30,000 with a noisy dephaser on a F4R with no noticable long term ill effect to the engine by the time it was changed.

I have only seen photos of a dephaser pulley used on the 1.6 K4M and internaly it was very different to the F4R only having half the number of chambers and it had debris inside it :eek: though I belive these start to rattle when worn as soon as the engine is started.

·
Registered
15 Posts
according to the Renault Parts Direct website, The Dephaser Pulley is the same part for F4R and F4P engines.

Cant imagine they would miss an opportunity to charge a little(!) extra for a 2.0l engine part if they had the opportunity!! :d

R

·
0 Posts
according to the Renault Parts Direct website, The Dephaser Pulley is the same part for F4R and F4P engines.
I thought that was more than likely the case as the cylinder heads are the same for the F4P and F4R engines. The cylinder head gasket sets and valve sets I bought when repairing F4R engines are used on both engines. I don't know wether the cam shafts have the same profile and lift though?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts