Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Laguna II dynamique 2001. Amongst other problems at the moment the drivers window sometimes operates O.K. but sometimes does not. Occasionally it will go up and down at random without being instructed! A bit annoying when it is raining!
Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
It is most likely due to the window motor control box! Damp gets into the circuit board and causes the glitches etc. I was able to fix mine. My window had actually stopped completely. Here's what I did.
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109441

You might be able to just spray WD40 into it, without have taking it apart and this could possibly dry up the damp enough in order for it to work! Hope this helps :d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that advice HeatherJ. I hope the Laguna is similar to the Megane.
I'll have to wait for the rain to stop to have a look.
I hear that some people say you can reset the window memory etc by pushing various buttons. I don't want to try that now and leave the window down all night! Theo.

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
If the window is only going up or down in small amounts every time you push the button the window reset will help, it resets the window limits so the motor knows when to stop. Resetting the limits didn't help my windows when they were playing up, until I fixed the control box, then I had to do it! :d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi HeatherJ, I have taken off the side trim of the door and there is quite a bit of water at the botom of the door. I read that you should make sure that the drain holes are not blocked. The only hole is well sealed with a rubber grommit. I have removed this grommit and am thinking of drilling another hole at the front.
The control box looks dry. I might spray with WD40, dry out the door and reassemble for a test. Any thoughts?

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
Hi HeatherJ, I have taken off the side trim of the door and there is quite a bit of water at the botom of the door. I read that you should make sure that the drain holes are not blocked. The only hole is well sealed with a rubber grommit. I have removed this grommit and am thinking of drilling another hole at the front.
The control box looks dry. I might spray with WD40, dry out the door and reassemble for a test. Any thoughts?
Water ingress is, unfortunately, a common problem.
There should be a couple of drain holes at the bottom of the door, where you found the water.
Make sure these aren't blocked in any way.

HeatherJ's article is very well illustrated, and from comparing my own experience with that article,
I can confidently tell you that the Laguna II isn't much different under the door card than the Megane II.
Personally, I prefer contact cleaner, rather than WD40, for electronics and electric connections, as WD40 tends to leave a thin layer of oil residue.

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
Yeah a proper contact cleaner is probably the way to go to remove the corrosion, although I made sure the excess WD40 was taken off and the thin layer of oil may help reduce moisture affecting the contacts again.

I might spray with WD40, dry out the door and reassemble for a test. Any thoughts?
Yeah thats a good idea! If that doesnt work maybe checking the circuit board may be necessary! Double check all the wires etc just to make sure the problem isn't coming from these, but I don't think this is the case because the window is still working, just whenever it feels like it :p! Hope this helps :d

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Water ingress is, unfortunately, a common problem.
There should be a couple of drain holes at the bottom of the door, where you found the water.
Make sure these aren't blocked in any way.

HeatherJ's article is very well illustrated, and from comparing my own experience with that article,
I can confidently tell you that the Laguna II isn't much different under the door card than the Megane II.
Personally, I prefer contact cleaner, rather than WD40, for electronics and electric connections, as WD40 tends to leave a thin layer of oil residue.

I still havent had the opportunity to take the panel of the door on my Megane II. It is raining every day over here in Belfast and its pretty annoying.

I have bought all the right equipment in torx screw drivers, clear silicone gel and are these the correct things below to do the job? Does the conductive paint simply be painted onto the prongs of the connector and I just spray the electrical chip board inside the black box with the cleaning solvent? Should I spray anywhere else?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electronic-solvent-cleaner-30056

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electrically-conductive-silver-paint-36275

I apologise for all the questions but are the clips holding the panel onto the actual door the same as those holding on the speaker grill? Is there a strong possibility of breaking them and the panel falling off?

Will the window fall down when the panel is taken off and finally does anyone know of any diagrams showing the plugs to let out the water at the bottom of the doors? I took off the speaker grill the other day and I could see where the water is coming in there and filling up the door pocket.

Again I really apologise for all the questions but I need as much help as I can get. I am afraid of messing this up big time.

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
I still havent had the opportunity to take the panel of the door on my Megane II. It is raining every day over here in Belfast and its pretty annoying.
I know the feeling. We're plagued by a fair bit of rain down here in the Republic too. {:-/

I apologise for all the questions but are the clips holding the panel onto the actual door the same as those holding on the speaker grill? Is there a strong possibility of breaking them and the panel falling off?
There are different clips holding the door card itself, but you're better off removing the speaker grill and speakers first,
disconnecting the speakers and putting them aside, before removing the door card.

Will the window fall down when the panel is taken off and finally does anyone know of any diagrams showing the plugs to let out the water at the bottom of the doors? I took off the speaker grill the other day and I could see where the water is coming in there and filling up the door pocket.
The window will not fall down when removing the door card.
Remember to clear out any debris at the bottom of the door's inside, so that future ingress can drain out properly.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I know the feeling. We're plagued by a fair bit of rain down here in the Republic too. {:-/

There are different clips holding the door card itself, but you're better off removing the speaker grill and speakers first,
disconnecting the speakers and putting them aside, before removing the door card.

The window will not fall down when removing the door card.
Remember to clear out any debris at the bottom of the door's inside, so that future ingress can drain out properly.

Cheers very much mate. Sites this are fantastic for helping out the needy and I need as much help as possible. Thank you

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Would you please just answer this also. Cheers

Does the conductive paint simply be painted onto the prongs of the connector and I just spray the electrical chip board inside the black box with the cleaning solvent? Should I spray anywhere else?

·
Diamond dismember
221 Posts
Does the conductive paint simply be painted onto the prongs of the connector and I just spray the electrical chip board inside the black box with the cleaning solvent? Should I spray anywhere else?
I'd first clean the prongs of the connectors with the solvent first, and wipe them clean before applying the conductive paint.
Also, wipe the solvent off the circuit board after having applied it. This should help wipe the corrosion residue off as well.

As for other places to spray… Nah. If you've done both the connector in the motor itself and the plug that goes into it, you should be grand. :)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'd first clean the prongs of the connectors with the solvent first, and wipe them clean before applying the conductive paint.
Also, wipe the solvent off the circuit board after having applied it. This should help wipe the corrosion residue off as well.

As for other places to spray… Nah. If you've done both the connector in the motor itself and the plug that goes into it, you should be grand. :)
Cheers very very much my friend :d

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
Get the window all the way up and then hold the switch for (around) ten seconds, then put the window all the way down and hold the switch down for the same! This should reset them!:d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.