Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have just bought a 1999 Laguna 2.0 RT sport, but I am having problems with the battery draining due to what i believe is an earthed wire or permanent live wire.
After switching off the engine several dashboard lights remain switched on and under the bonnet there is a clicking noise. Has anybody else had this problem that could tell me what it could be. Could it be a quick simple fix or is it going to be a big bill from an auto electrician?!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Chris, I have tried taking out all the relays 1 by 1 but the lights on the dash are still lit, also all the fuses are in tact. I guess I'm hoping somebody else had this problem and can tell me what they did to resolve it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Chris, I have good news and bad news!! I left the battery unattached overnight, when i reattached it there was a bit of clicking but it stopped after a couple of seconds, theres me thinking problem solved!!
So i went to start the engine but before i put the keys in the same lights that were on before were back on again, I tried firing up regardless and it started!! but then i turned the engine off, well i turned the keys, but the engine kept going, even with the keys out of the barrel, could it be a dodgy ignition switch and if so could this be the problem with the lights on the dash? thanks again Micklad

·
Registered
19 Posts
indeed it does sound like a barrel fault. remove the steering console and check there are no loose connections on the barrel. also, have you had the radio changed recently?
any problem like this can be put down to any componant that has a perminant and switched live through it shorting, thus giving power to the car constantly. if the engine dies when you remove the wire from the barrel, its the barrel, if it stays on, its most likely to be caused by the radio....remove the switched live off this....and so on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 2 weeks of checking just about every wire in the car, and not finding any loose connections or bare wires, the car has been put back together. To my surprise the lights on the dash that were previously on, werent, so i thought i'd try to start it and the car fired up first time, it also switched off when asked. I would like to tell you what I did to sort it, for future reference for other lag owners, but I'm not sure what cured it!! Many thanks to Chris M and Drummerboy for their input, I'd like to think it had some effect on the result

1 - 7 of 7 Posts