Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. A few weeks ago my Lag started giving me a headache with Electronic Warning Indicators.

2 or 3 times a week, i would pull up to a junction and 3 warning lights would appear on my panel. The Electronic Fault light. The Serv light, and the ESP light. If i set off i get the 5mph limp home effect.

I have to stop the car. Restart and all is fine.I'm looking for options before dare i say it take it to Renault.:crazy: .

The car drives fine at all speeds. There is no Knocking or movement from either front wheel. Ball joints are fine. Tyres are good no uneven wear.

This as got me completely stumped. Any Ideas would be most welcome.

Regards.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
My Laguna used to do that, would stop and re-start and it was ok, took it in to be checked and because the lights did not come on at the garage they could not find any fault with it, a month later the entire gearbox failed, so seemed to be that unless the warning lights are on they cant get a diagnosis, I may be wrong on that tho, but is how it was with mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is still doing this, yet if i have the air con on to take the revs over 875rpm at lights to 925rpm the warning lights never come on.

It only happens when the car is stationary and at 875rpm.

·
Administrator
21,703 Posts
Hi duran,

There have been many posts about this happening with the IDE engine. From reading most of them it may be worth while you getting some injector cleaner and putting that in with a full tank of petrol. It may help. It helped me with my lumpy idle.

Also after reading the various posts I now no longer user cheap supermarket fuel and use the more expensive stuff from the big petrol stations. Im using total excellium at the mo, seems quite good. Its meant to help keep your injectors etc clear of carbon, which I think is the main issue with the IDE engine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. Ive got a total garage just down the road that sells total excellium unleaded fuel.
I'll give it a try, ill also pour in some slick50 fuel treatment when i next fill up.
Strange thing is that my revs are constant 875rpm at a stop.
If i hit the aircon to take revs up to 925rpm i dont get the warning lights.Weird !
But ill try your suggestions before anything else. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 51 plate had a similar problem, check the Air intake Temp sensor should be around 16 quid from the dealer this fixed mine. Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Andy, I'll try it with the Total Excellium super unleaded first and the fuel treatment, if still the same will give the air intake temp sensor a try.

I just dont want to take it to Renault when they already probably know what the issue is with this happening to so many IDE's. The first thing they will say to me is, we will hook it up to a diagnostic test.

Then there till will start making noises at my wallet you need this that oh and this also .lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a 2.0 IDE 16v 2002 that used tio have this problem until recently. The symptoms only occurred after you had stopped or slowed in traffic. Then you get a Fuel injector fault then "service" then ultimately stop the car (red light). the problem happened on and off until aboput a week ago when every time the car went out for a 10 minuite drive it would get the fault in traffic. I'd tried the fuel cleaner and it had made the problem go for a few weeks. Ultimately I changed the fuel pressure sensor/ controller and now there is no issue. The part isnt cheap at 160 quid but you can fit it yourself in half an hour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mushroom that would explain why it doesnt do it if i have the aircon on.
Higher revs forcing more fuel through.Well I guess i'll have to live with it for another 12 months before i change it.
Hasnt put me off Lagunas though.This is my 3rd.
Will be looking for a 2.0 DCI New Shape next time,however i'm tempted by the Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X.
I have always thought that the Lagunas had the edge in terms of Looks and in car Goodies. But i have to admit, Ford have produced a great car in the Titanium X.

·
Administrator
21,703 Posts
Yeah my revs go up to about 925 rpm when i got the aircon on, so I think thats pretty normal. Not sure why this stops the warning messages though.

Once youve put your injector cleaner in it may be worth going for a blast on the motorway for a good few (50+ miles) as this will help clean out your injectors etc. I've just got back from a 500 mile trip and my lumpy idle has disappeared completely (for now)

All the best on getting it sorted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts