Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
I have a Laguna alize 1999 V plate. My passenger side fog light bulb has blown,I have had a look but I dont know how to get at it. There seems to be a long plastic cover underneath do I have to remove this? I would be very grateful if anyone could give some advice.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Mike, I will quote from the Haynes Manual.'' Undo the mounting bolt under the bumper then release the upper mounting lugs and pull the light unit forward out of the bumper. Disconnect the wiring plug and working at the rear of the light unit twist the cover anti-clockwise and remove it. Release the spring clip by compressing it's ends and withdraw the bulb.'' When you put the new bulb in make sure not to touch the glass with your fingers and just reassemble it. Hope this helps :)
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
laguna fog light

hasnt been a sucess, the mounting bolt is just going round and round, cannot get anything in to try and pull the bolt as I unscrew it. Looks like a garage job and maybe a new fitting, sod it !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the information from Leroy that got me started on dealing with replacing the bulb in my wife's Megane. Unfortunately I too had the 'bolt keeps turning' problem reported by Mikeqb49 above. After struggling with it for a couple of hours and getting a bruised wrist and a headache, here is my solution:
1) STOP struggling
2) go and get a coffee
3) while you are drinking your coffee, come to terms with the fact that as a result of bad design the bolt has seized onto the the metal theads that used to be bonded into the fog light body
4) order yourself a new fog light unit (currently available for about £33 on eBay (incl. postage)
5) when it arrives cut/grind the head off the bolt
6) spend 5 stress free minutes removing the old unit and inserting the new unit
7) thank me for saving you from shortening your lifespan by suffering the same level of UTTER FRUSTRATION AND ANNOYANCE THAT I HAVE JUST SUFFERED!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
laguna fog light

Hi Billor
Solved my problem. One of my pals has a garage,took to him and it took him about 10 Mins. He said it is a lot easier when you can get it on a ramp and he managed to change the bulb without removing the lamp. Said it was tight and a bit fiddly but he managed. No doubt a dealer garage would have charged me for about 2Hrs labour and maybe a new fitting

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried this today. I got the covers under the car off but when I twisted the cover on the back of the foglight anti-clockwise it turned but I couldnt get it off. I also couldnt get the power lead off. Does it just pull off? I had a feeling if I got the power lead off then the cover would come off too. Anyone done this or have any idea how to remove the power lead (pull? twist?) In the end the pi$$ing rain and high winds got to me and I had to call it quits.

Thanks,

Brian.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can now answer my own questions here as I sorted this at the weekend. I put car up on ramps and it was really easy to do. Just remove the panel, take off the round plastic cover and the power lead just pulls off. A little clip holds the bulb in place. As I found out this is practically impossible to do without the car on ramps.

Brian.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi
first post so be gentle :)
having the same problem myself, is this the mounting bolt everyone is refering to?
if so , how do i remove it, its round?
if thats not it , where is it ?
..ive included pics so show you what i mean.

thanks for any info received.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes that is the cover for the lamps, however to get it removed you have to supposedly unscrew the "torx screw" at the bottom of the lamp (see second pic in previous post).
Once that is done, it simply should push up a little to remove the 2 lugs and the light unit itself will drop out the front of the bumper for easy replacement.

The point i was making was it doesnt appear to be a screw at the bottom, on checking the other foglight, it has a torx screw and washer at the bottom of that one and is easily removable.

it appears to be some sort of plastic bung on the one i need to remove, ive tried to pull at it with pliers and it seems to be made of a soft plastic as it starting to crumble on pulling it.....any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Ah right, if you can't unscrew that black plastic part then I don't know I'm afraid. I'd have though that just to change a bulb you can get to it through that. I'd personally say that the torx screw is used when changing the whole lamp unit but like I said. I'm unsure as I don't have fogs, never touched them either, just guessing really.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't recall having to touch that mounting bolt when I changed my bulb but there was a knack of getting that black plastic bit off. You basically turn it then pull it out. If I recall it was just a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on mine then it just pulls out.

Hope this helps.
Brian.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts