Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Car is a Laguna 2 Ph2 2.2DCi 150 manual reg 06/2005, type BG1F B6.

NSF spring has broken in the usual place near the bottom end, so I need to replace both. I believe the OEM part numbers to be either:
8200371501 or 8200446187. They have 3 painted dots, 2 white and 1 yellow, but no part number stamped on the springs themselves.

I am finding so many replacements that claim to be compatible, but cannot all be because they have various specifications - length, diameter etc. I can get these part numbers from Renault at about £100 each, but if I can get a cheaper compatible item obviously I'd prefer to save money. And even if I have to buy the Renault items I still don't know exactly which to choose.

Does anyone know how I can identify the correct spring? And is there a compatible aftermarket item? The usual Google/eBay etc parts suppliers all come up with springs that claim to be compatible, but have completely different part numbers.

Thanks

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
Renault identify the spring type by the dots. Compression ..length etc as for aftermarket ones its pot luck and might be anything.. sorry I cant be of further help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Renault identify the spring type by the dots. Compression ..length etc as for aftermarket ones its pot luck and might be anything.. sorry I cant be of further help..

Thanks, yes I have the colour codes, I suppose I was hoping someone might have a list or something like that to identify the specifications

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
That I imagine would be privy to renault unless you strike lucky on a google search..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,054 Posts
I think I have seen a list of grades but can't lay my hands on it ATM.
However it still would not solve your problem.
Unless you can find an aftermarket supplier who grades their springs and can correlate gradings.

To add some detail to the grades... though the article Phil linked to covers it.
Renault do not make different grade springs.
What they make are springs to the same spec but which vary a little due to the vagaries of the heat treatment process.
So they (or at least the suppliers) measure the spring rate and assign grades to each spring.
Then when the vehicle is assembled, the same grades are fitted to each side and the beasty should sit level.
And if a spring needs replacing, Renault can match the grade and once again the car is level.

Personally the way springs seem to have a tendency to break these days, I would go aftermarket and swap both.
You may still have an issue with nose being higher or lower but at least it should be level.
And a pair is possibly cheaper then one from Renault.
If paying a garage to swap, the Renault option and only swap one is possibly cheapest route due to labour costs.
Renault should be able to determine the spring from your reg or VIN number plus the colour code.
But I don't know of any aftermarket who can do more then find the basic spring but not grades.

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
Personally the way springs seem to have a tendency to break these days, I would go aftermarket and swap both.
You may still have an issue with nose being higher or lower but at least it should be level.
And a pair is possibly cheaper then one from Renault.
If paying a garage to swap, the Renault option and only swap one is possibly cheapest route due to labour costs.
Renault should be able to determine the spring from your reg or VIN number plus the colour code.
But I don't know of any aftermarket who can do more then find the basic spring but not grades.
Just come back on this was thinking the same Pete..if the number of coils and wire dia matches he might be pretty much there..he could check out Eu spares site for options on springs and maybe have a chat with them before ordering and would definitely fit 2..its the best way to go..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just come back on this was thinking the same Pete..if the number of coils and wire dia matches he might be pretty much there..he could check out Eu spares site for options on springs and maybe have a chat with them before ordering and would definitely fit 2..its the best way to go..

Many thanks to you both for the replies and help.

I was always going to replace both, even if only on the basis that if one has broken there's a fair chance the other won't be far behind. The car is 15 years old after all. So even if the replacements aren't precisely the same spec as the originals the car will sit level. I'm replacing most of the other parts down there at the same time - shocks, balljoints drop links etc so hopefully she'll last a few years yet. Had to replace the OSF hub due to corroded ABS sensor mount so it seemed sensible to do so at the same time.

Google may have come up trumps anyway - I found this catalogue from German manufacturer Suplex which has all the colour codes, not just for the Laguna but loads of others too. Their springs aren't as cheap as some I've seen, but the info gives me more confidence that these will be correct than the limited info I've seen elsewhere. And I've got 2 coming from a company in Belfast over to me in France for less than the price of 1 spring from Renault...

Now all I need to do is find new driveshaft nuts that actually fit (the ones I've seen available are too small), and locate a torque wrench that'll do 280nm. One of my neighbours worked as a mechanic for Renault F1 in the late 70s, and has an amazing tool collection (and car collection) - but even he can't help with that one!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,054 Posts
Well done, I'll keep that link, tnx.

Re the torque..... my torque wrench goes up to 230nm, I think you need to step up to 3/4 drive to get higher, or an impact gun you can set torque on.
Bit of overkill for the occasional nut or bolt that does need that sort of torque.
What I do is set my torque wrench to highest (230) tighten to click and then swap on my long cracker bar and give it another 1/3 of a turn..... gawd knows what torque I end up with but about the right order and I ain't lost one yet.
They are one of the few nuts that I bother with a torque wrench for but I have this aversion to being overtaken by my own wheel.

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
Great link and well done finding it..will come in handy I am sure for members like yourself who struggle to find the correct info and springs.. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts