Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have a 2000 (x) laguna 1.8 sport 16v (last of the old shape) and its due a new clutch, while i'm at it though i'm aware there is an engine mounting problem, which doesnt seem too bad as the mounts seem to be reasonably cheap.

My querey is though how many mounts are there? I was looking on ebay and found 'upper' O/S & N/S mounts, are there any lower mounts and are these more expensive?

It would just make sense to get it all done at once while the box is out for the clutch.

Johnboy :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i believe there is a lower mount that is attached to the gear box if you take a look underneath you will see it and as for the cost i do not think that they are that dear i hope this helps Donald

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Engine mounts

Yup, that sounds about right, i was on the phone to masterparts between posting the thread and checking prices and they told me there is a stabiliser which i think are the upper ones and a mounting bar at the bottom??

Either way its only about 30-40 quid

Many thanks :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's usually the stabiliser that gives problems......

It connects the back of the engine to the subframe,and has a rubber bush in each end of it.The rubber bushes take a hell of a pounding as the engine rocks fowards and backwards under acceleration etc,and they can wear causing excessive engine movement,which in turn can damage the top gearbox mount and the top engine mount.It can also lead to excessive wear in the gear selector rod bushes and to a cracked exhaust.The tell tale sign of a worn stabiliser is to drive the car and jump on and off the throttle in a low gear and watch the gear stick.Some gear stick movement is usual,but if the stabiliser is worn it will move foward and back wildly.:).You may also hear a knock when initially starting the engine.

The stabiliser is shaped a bit like a dogs bone,and is called this by some people(Dogs Bone Mounting).:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well when the car is idle the gear stick does have a bit of a shudder to it, so does this suggest the stabiliser and the top gearbox mount?

in addition is it possible to just replace the bushes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's usually the stabiliser that gives problems......

It connects the back of the engine to the subframe,and has a rubber bush in each end of it.The rubber bushes take a hell of a pounding as the engine rocks fowards and backwards under acceleration etc,and they can wear causing excessive engine movement,which in turn can damage the top gearbox mount and the top engine mount.It can also lead to excessive wear in the gear selector rod bushes and to a cracked exhaust.The tell tale sign of a worn stabiliser is to drive the car and jump on and off the throttle in a low gear and watch the gear stick.Some gear stick movement is usual,but if the stabiliser is worn it will move foward and back wildly.:).You may also hear a knock when initially starting the engine.

The stabiliser is shaped a bit like a dogs bone,and is called this by some people(Dogs Bone Mounting).:)
My gear lever rocks a bit. Is this stabiliser expensive? and is it easy to fit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this problem with my Laguna and I replaced all the mounts but there still is a banging from engine when driving and slowing down and changing gear as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts