Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Im new to the forums so I hope i have posted in the correct place.

I am having intermittent ignition problems with my Laguna I phase I which I hope someone can help me diagnose. Basically every so often when i try to start the car it will either try to turn over 1 or 2 times and cut out or it will start but just as it starts I will hear a crunching noise where the starter motor doesnt disengage quickly enough.

As suggested in other posts I have checked the immobiliser receiver in the headlining for water ingress but that was all clear. Someone I know suggested a possible faulty ignition barrel as there is some play with the key inserted but I am reluctant to spend money on this without being certain it is the cause.

This isnt a constant problem, as sometimes I can go a few days with the car starting normally, but it is starting to bug me now. So please help.

Mark

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
hi
sounds like the gear return spring is wearing out.
only practicle fix is a replacement starter motor.

what engine model have you got ?
as i have a spare one for a lag1 ph1 f3p/r engine.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the 2.0l auto, so I believe that is the F3R engine with the AD4 transmission.

Your suggested dignosis does sound reasonble, but how sure are you?

Is the starter motor serviceable in any way? i.e. could i dismantle it, clean it, re-grease and re-assemble?

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
you could rip it apart, but getting the spring replaced isnt a DIY job, as entire spindle would have to be stripped.
im not sure if there is difference between manual and auto box starters (probably is though.)

probably best to ring around for aftermarket prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the starter motor replaced, but the problem still remains.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Please?

L

·
0 Posts
The fact you say that the starter dog is sticking, would indeed suggest faulty starter motor.

Best option would be to get a second hand one and try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fact you say that the starter dog is sticking, would indeed suggest faulty starter motor.

Best option would be to get a second hand one and try it.
Ive replaced the starter motor, and the slight crunching that existed before isnt apparent now, however the problem with the starter motor cutting out early (after one or two turnovers of the engine) still exists.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts